View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: Starcraft and CGC  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 01:56 AM

Starcraft was banned by the old lab admins since when people would come to club they would only play SC and nothing else. That and I am sure that Paul just had to throw down the gauntlet.

At a lanparty however it makes sense not to do SC2 because there is no LAN mode (atleast there wasnt the last time I checked). Now Ive missed the last two TigerLANs but the last time I went there was no net connection.

Edit:
And what do you know about Squats? I know that GW pissed me off royally when they canned my army, they did it with Chaos Dwarves aswell!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Reply with quote Back to top
GIROffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 05:27 AM

I don't even have sc2 ...thought it had lan like sc did.

LuckyNumbah7Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 11:13 AM

It was more than just coming only to play SC....it was also, you know...the bad crowd that came with it (still makes me giggle when I think that the gaming community has a bad crowd). People were stealing Auburn property. Once Starcraft was banned, stuff stopped getting stolen. So yeah.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 12:10 PM

The theft issue is a bit of a misnomer. The theft level was about the same during the CS years. Correct me if I am wrong xero/Bandit?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
LuckyNumbah7Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 04:04 PM

Really now? If you're right, that's gonna piss me off...this isn't the first time I've been misinformed about gamers, and honestly, I'm getting moderately sick of it. I'll have to fact-check with an old gamer from now on or something.

Sephiroth1112Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 05:18 PM
no0b
no0b

So. . .a problem with people stealing AU property is going to be punished by banning a game. The game did not steal anything, and AU property is not used for TigerLANs.
You could have easily said that the online capabilities needed to host this game are not available. But you didn't. The argument stems from what people did before you started attending this club. Just ban them and set up a system that makes it very hard for things to get stolen, the game room seems to have a good system.
If you want to make a competent point, pick an argument and stick to it across the board. If people steal or otherwise break rules when playing a game - then ban the game every time. Of course, I don't like a game so I will break a rule while playing it so as to never see that game played 10 years from now at this club.

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 07:13 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

We have banned people from the club before. But it was for sending threatening email to sponsoring professors and the club members. Something like I last saw you with a disk, is really hard to ban someone for, since University rules requires proof and requires clubs be open to all University participants.

I completely agree with your point, just saying it's really hard to implement, so I completely understand the game ban.

Plus SC2 can't be played at TigerLan as it doesn't have internet connectivity. Blizzard has specifically stated they don't support LAN culture, so they banned themselves, because they found it difficult to police piracy.

LuckyNumbah7Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 02, 2011 - 02:18 PM

I'm sorry that I very well may have been misinformed about the actual situation...but come on, chill out. =\

What I have heard is that SC brought in a crowd that started stealing hardware from the lab, and that it was then banned by higher-ups, NOT club members. I'm visiting the lab admin this coming week to find out exactly what happened, and a decision will be made from there.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 - 02:46 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've never heard of any theft except people forgetting to return games to the library or headphones to the lab.

I didn't know of any permanent ban of any game.

One semester, we had several people (4-12 a night) show up, play only Counter-Strike and never socialize with the other gamers and never participate in other games or club activities such as voting. We tried repeatedly to change this and they never wanted any of it. That was not the type of people the officers and several members wanted in club; we wanted people to be more open and participatory than that. That is, we wanted people who were hardcore gamers, not people that happen to play one game hardcore. The officers, after a club vote (guess who didn't show up to vote like always), tried removing the game from the image to test the hypothesis that they would start playing other games if they were the type of gamers we wanted to hang out with. They never came back once they found out it was gone for the semester. Until Steam was the only option for CS, we never cared enough to put it back on the image.

SC died due to lack of interest after moving from the Shop buildings. It enjoyed a very brief stint one semester (possibly the same as the CS semester, I remember the lab being setup the same way) with 2-5 people a meeting playing nothing but it. Basically, it was the same thing we saw with the CS group -- no desire to be part of the group, just use the computers. AFAIK they just stopped showing up to meetings. I also think they installed the game themselves, but I might be wrong because I think the one time I actually played the game was that same semester.

I can say that I would have never idly allowed a permanent ban of a game as president due to the people who played it. Only the admins telling me there was a security problem with the software would have let that fly with me, and that never happened. However, that doesn't mean the "let's vote it off the image" wasn't misconstrued over time into a "we banned it" statement -- our members liked to embellish for dramatic effect.

If those numbers seem high, it wasn't then -- we had twice the number of computers at the time because the lab was twice the size, the back wall was not there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
GIROffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 - 04:44 AM

That is really interesting since I was told that sc was actually banned by many older members and officers. I originally wanted to vote sc onto the image (sc1)just for some fun playing use map settings stuff, and nostalgia, but I got instantly shot down, and provided with that, somewhat unbelievable answer, and I have heard it repeated over and over again by people who have been around longer than I have....and who hate sc.

LuckyNumbah7Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 - 06:00 PM

There, split the topic. Since, you know, this was jumping onto another thought train.

Anyway, I'm going to find out the story tomorrow morning or afternoon. As soon as I hear what the lab admin says, I'll post it here. Then maybe we can make some headway.

EDIT: Stickying this until the resolution, too, because this is fairly important.

EDIT: Deleted my post because it was on topic...for the other thread. ~Megaking

ScorpionOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 - 11:02 PM

It is all my fault. Carry on.

-Scorp

LuckyNumbah7Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2011 - 02:56 PM

Well, I talked to Mike and he has no clue about this whole thing. He suggested I talk to you, Scorp. I'll probably get in touch with you later to figure out what happened.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2011 - 04:04 PM

Way to go Scorp

ScorpionOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2011 - 07:23 PM

I'm going to go ahead and lay it on the line here, here's what actually occurred as told by me. It is better for people to read this as it is a classic case of what not to do.

At some point, (forgive me for not knowing the exact date) we had a large group of Starcraft players reminiscent of the "CS only" crowd that ran through while xero had tabs on things. These people were admittedly rather anti-social and those that did speak were generally jerks. Worse than me or Bandit for that matter. (At least our jerkishness is meant in jest or to foster competitiveness, mostly. ...stop laughing.)

The most distressing part was that no one seemed to know who these people were, and due to the lack of willingness to interact with preexisting members or even officers no one could know. There were suspicions that a good portion were actually members of the local high school. More on this later.

Since I was tech officer I had access to the lab administrators and they are generally interested in how things are going. They hate being kept in the dark about club activities since it is their machines the club uses. (Talk to them sometime. Mike is a funny guy, and a gamer.)

While changing the games on the image in accordance to the monthly vote (something that has seemingly fallen out of favor) the topic was raised with Paul who was the lab administrator at the time and he offered a simple reply ...as I remember it: "Well then I don't want it being played in my lab if it is bringing these little ****s in." Here's the main reason why this response was actually used rather than just laughed nervously at:

At about the same point in history one of the CLA labs had pretty much all of its equipment stolen. Many thousands of dollars in computer hardware gone. Members may not be aware that the Gamers club was under intense scrutiny since we were one of few possible security leaks. The theft took place on a Sunday using a swipe card reported stolen by one of the Admins' flunkies. The Gamers had access to the administrators' offices at the time and a new group of unaccountable anti-social no names were hanging around. Do the math. There was talk of our club status being revoked, of being denied access to CLA labs, expulsions, police investigations, ect. Thanks to our excellent reputation with the administrators (because we talked to them on a regular basis) and assurances that no one entered the office portion without officer supervision, we were eventually removed from the list of suspects.

This also accounts for the hardware theft exaggerations, hell I even started believing it when some one told me that minor bits of hardware were being stolen at the time. All completely baseless. Gamers has a clean record.

Back to my and the club's actions.

Well I brought this proclamation to our president, and we enforced it as word o' God. It was an easy if ill-informed means of rooting out the unwelcome element. Starcraft being banned by the all powerful administrator removes it from the image...it also provides its own reason for being. That did help with the inevitable verbal abuse to follow.

Later it turns out that yes, a good portion (all) of the crowd were in fact high school kids who weren't being very honest about their student status. Having them around wasn't exactly squaring up with club policy.

The whole Starcraft is banned "joke" should have died soon after its purpose was achieved or when Paul was no longer the lab administrator or when I was no longer the tech officer or when the president was no longer the president or when I completely lost what was left of my sanity...but things have this weird tendency to get out of control and while I've had my very large part in this dance, I think it is time to turn off the lights. Party's over.

There is not official ban on Starcraft. Any action to prohibit the legal installation, voting on, or playing of the game is simply an injustice. End of story.

So. Yep. It is all my fault. I'll take the blame on this one.

Now I still have some yelling to do at Lucky, so please continue on your quest to contact me.

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2011 - 08:13 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

wow I enjoyed that story.

Each administration it seems has had a brush with user insanity and were forced to make odd rules, that strangely outlived the intended purpose.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Scorpion wrote:
Now I still have some yelling to do at Lucky, so please continue on your quest to contact me.

Im not Lucky (atleast not in the name sense), but Ill be calling you soon to yell at you

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 07, 2011 - 02:21 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting. Glad it all worked out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 07, 2011 - 11:29 AM

Oh I called scorp and yelled at him, then we started talking about Mechwarrior.

Sephiroth1112Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2011 - 04:45 PM
no0b
no0b

Well, it is nice to know what was going on.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic