View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BanditOffline
Post subject: My 1st PC home Build  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:27 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

All this talk lately about harddrives has bubbled up old memories of computer moding and building.

I still remember the 1st time I built an entire computer from scratch. I had been upgrading and modifying pre-built machines since my 1st Gateway 486 DX2 66MHz. I increased the cache thinking memory was memory and that would let me run a game that said I didn't have enough Low Memory. Later I discovered QEMM (Quadradec Enhanced Memory Mangement) software at the local store and loaded everything into High Memory so I could run games in my Low Memory. Woohoo! Game on!

I diverged there somewhere. Anyway I had been attending Gamers for a while and became friends with this twitchy Quake master named Speed. He knew all kinds of neat stuff. How to split a zip file across disks, what 3d video card I needed to make Quake run faster on my modded Gateway 486 DX2 66MHz (which I had windows 98 running on! 12 Megs of RAM biatch!), and he even knew the magic phone numbers to the Auburn University modem bank. I got free internet dood! SO I convinced my dad I NEEDED a new computer for school and that I knew what I was doing. Speed helped me out picking my parts for my price (that PII is gona ROCK!) (be careful with the heatsink they get hot). Ordered it all tossed in a case (built the whole thing in his kitchen floor). Turned on the monster to hear nothing at all. Fans buzzing, but no beeps nothing. Removed everything cept the power, mobo, and processor to get the same results. FInally gave up and took it to a "friend" of his at a computer store. The guy kept it a week and called me back saying yup it's ready. I got there and said ok where is it. He said "that'll be 70 bucks" WHAT? I thought. aw man... I"m gonna kill Speed.

Yea I paid him, I think Speed never went back to that guy he was pissed. What was the problem? Of course I didn't know what the little cardboard looking washers were so I didn't use them. Come to find out those are so the mobo doesn't get grounded.

And that is how the Bandit got his start. What's your story morning glory?

Reply with quote Back to top
PhukFaceOffline
Post subject: RE: My 1st PC home Build  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 - 04:37 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

ah yes the dx2 wat a chip Razz those were great, as well as the pencil mod could get 120mhz clocks on it... so nice for those days.

StickOffline
Post subject: RE: My 1st PC home Build  PostPosted: Nov 21, 2005 - 09:05 PM

ah yes Speed. So appropriately nicknamed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic