View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AckOffline
Post subject: X-Box 360  PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 - 01:55 PM

Ok, so, yesterday I went out and bought the X-Box 360 Premium bundle, with the hard drive and wireless controller, and a game to play on it, since Dead Rising hasn't been released yet. So let's start with my impressions with the controller.

First off, I liked that it automatically detected the 360, and there was nothing I had to plug in anywhere. I can just turn it on and play, though I haven't experimented with the range just yet. I popped open the back of the controller to look at the battery casing, and was surprised to find a switch to change the channel for the controller. If it's the same system as the RF Mice we use at work, it's only got 8 channels, and it's possible powerful enough to use through a six-inch layer of concrete, which worries me. So now I need to run tests to see how powerful this thing is.

Second, the actual battery casing was a bit confusing. They post an image of the way the batteries are supposed to go next to their slots, but the connectors are the same, so it looks like one of the batteries is put in backwards. Not really an error with performance, but I didn't notice the pictures at first, which caused a minor annoyance.

Third, the controller actually worked quite well once I got everything set up. It's comfortable, light-weight, and smooth, so it didn't cause my hands to cramp, even after a few hours of playtime. Button placement is a little wierd, the L and R buttons take a little getting used to after resting my fingers on the triggers, and the buttons in the joysticks took a few moments, but I actually grew very comfortable with them quickly. I'm worried I'm going to hit the big X in the middle (the power button for the controller) when I go for start, but it hasn't happened yet. Performance was immediate, there was no lag between my commands and the game. All in all, a fun piece of work, the 360 controller is much better than the X-Box's, or even the smaller X-Box controller.

Next came the console. First, I would like to say that the power cord has a box on it the size of my foot, which wierds me out. It's not been a terrible problem, but I can't find a good place for it. Just a small issue I'm having.

Second, after a few hours, I realized that the 360's fan was screaming at me for some cooling. While I admit that the section of the entertainment area I'd put it in wasn't the best for a console (it was pretty small, and lacked good ventilation), the machine was much hotter than I had expected. To combat this, I have moved it to a different location that should offer better cooling, but this worries me immensely. I'm saving the receipt, just in case.

Third, the actual profile thing was pretty easy to set up, and the options menu is very easy to go through. I had a profile set up in a few minutes, and an avatar, though I didn't like having to select one from a preset list, so I'll be looking into changing it, if I ever go on X-Box Live.

Now for the game. As some of you know, I enjoy horror games. So what was my first pick for the X-Box 360 game to first play on my console? Why, none other than Condemned: Criminal Origins. And I love it.

The gameplay is great. The feeling of paranoia at every sound and flash of movement is quite refreshing compared to the rest of the genre that I've become rather desensitized to. Of course, after playing for a few hours, I'm already starting to feel it with Condemned, but I also realize it's partly adrenaline right now, so I'm screaming at everyone I fight. In the game, you play an FBI agent who is going after a serial killer known as the Match Maker. After running through an office, you find him, but he beats you down and kills your partner with your gun...a murder that you are blamed for. So you have to figure out what's up. Of course, along the way, you've got to fight numerous psycopaths who are hiding in the dark and armed with all kinds of weapons. So, you're gonna have to fight back.

Ammo is limited, so you're gonna use a melee weapon eventually...and there are dozens. Hell, you can rip pipes off the wall to beat people with. It makes for good times. And these guys scream at you, insult you, circle you, attack in groups, hide, sneak up on you...it's great, though very brutal and very bloody. I've never had a game tell me to 'fuck off' like this before. Rebirth enjoys watching me play horror games, but she's told me she feels sorry for some of the things I've done to these guys.

The only problem I've had is that the lighting is a cone coming from your flashlight, and it can start to cause a headache after half an hour or so of play time. But after another half hour or so, you get used to it. Just remember...the second half hour can be a little bit of a problem. Oh, and you have to play with the lights off, otherwise it's not the same experience.

All in all, if you like games that will scare the crap out of you...Condemend is a great choice.

Reply with quote Back to top
kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 - 12:17 AM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

Paint your adapter like the ghost capture thingy in Ghostbusters... that's what it looks like... (there was a pictar on the net somewhere)

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 - 01:52 AM

What happen Ack, you use to be cool.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
SatertekOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 - 02:02 AM
Mobile Camper
Mobile Camper

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
AckOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 09, 2006 - 01:25 PM

After messing around with it more, I've discovered a number of over things. One, no matter where it goes, the X-Box 360 sounds like a jumbo jet trying to take off. Two, it also likes to get as hot as Tatooine's second Sun. And three, the wireless controller can be used to play X-Box 360 games from the apartment next door. This both impresses me, and has me slightly worried that I may live next door to other gamers.

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 18, 2006 - 03:01 PM

omg j00 wii be living dwnstars frum me wtf wtf wtf if j00 mess up my revlution pwnage j00r azz is grazz

( for those of you who are unaware, I am kidding. )

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic