View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ZadeOffline
14 Post subject: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2006 - 03:53 PM
no0b
no0b

As my first post I figure I'd post something of quality, so what better than a review?

I've been a fan of Nippon Ichi titles for awhile, and was practically jumping for joy as I got home with his latest work, Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories.

For those unfamiliar with Nippon Ichi's work, his games generally follow the same style, and it can be said that if you play one of his games, you play them all. When the games all rock however, this doesn't come across as much of a deterent. His games are all Strategy RPGs, and have a very definate Japanese flair. These games are known for the excessive leveling you can do, as you can see creature and character levels easily up into the tousands, and damage can get into numbers they don't have words for yet.

Gameplay:
Those who enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics or similar games will feel comfortable with this game, as it's quite similar gameplay wise. Grid based map with two teams of characters taking turns moving and beating the crap out of eachother. While this works for a few levels, the difficulty curve in the game almost demands you learn the secrets and loopholes of the game in order to stand up to the enemies.

A lot of the maps in the game have puzzles that you have to consider during the fight, and if you arn't paying attention, it's very easy to stumble into traps.

As I said, leveling can get insane in this game, and there's plenty of ways the game allows for this. If you tire of the main quest, and crave random dungeon goodness, you can enter the 'soul' of each and every one of your items, proving a series of levels that not only pit you up against hard enemies, but if you win, will allow you to power up the item you enetered.

Story:
The story of Disgaea 2, as well as all Nippon Ichi titles, is a real treat. It starts with an absurd premise, and then only builds upon it's own absurdity with self-referential humor and off-the-wall plot twists. While there is some drama, for the most part it's pure fun, with Demonic-Bunny-Anchormen on the news, failed-pop-stars as rivals, and a family more disfunctional than the Osbornes. Demons, Netherworlds, and Cat-girls fill the game, each one providing humor and wackiness.

Sound:

While I personally like the music, I can tell it wouldn't be for everybody. There's alot of J-pop, complimenting the anime-style of the game, and the voice-acting is typical for English dubbign. There's an option however to use the Japanese voice-track, which is highly recommened.

Graphics:
The graphics are the game's weakest point, but I still play my old SNES games, so it wasn't a problem at all for me.
Despite this being a new game on the PS2, the graphics are not that much superior to those of a playstation game. Isometric view of 2D sprites on a 3D map. Some of the special effects and attacks are very nice however.

Longevity:
The case of the game claims 100+ hours of playtime, but I feel that's probably an understatement. With a long storyline(which I've heard has multiple endings), plenty of hidden items and dungeons, AND the abilty to enter each and every one of your own items for further dungeons, this game can definetly keep you entertained. I've had it for a week and have already put in 27 hours, with no signs of boredom yet (I can also say I haven't even scratched the surface of the full game story/character wise)

As a sequel:

Many, many reviews have said that the game is just another Nippon Ichi title, with only one noticeable element thrown in besides the new storyline. Myself and others though see this as a good thing. The games are great, and there's no REASON to change an awesome game.
For those of you who fear not playing the first, don't worry, a knowledge of the first game isn't needed, and there's only references back to it in the game itself. If you're dieing to know, just do a Wikipedia search. =P

Overall:
I'd have to say this game is one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. Fans of SRPGs, or even just RPGs owe it to themselves to check this game out. It's fun, hilarious, off-beat, and engrossing. It'll suck up your time like no-other, but it'll be time well spent.

Finally, here's a trailer for the game.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6643628976514408426&q=Disgaea+2

Reply with quote Back to top
CoyoteOffline
Post subject: RE: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2006 - 10:27 PM

Wow... this review is like... professional looking.. and.. stuff.....

*Glances at Gouji's Castle of the Winds Review*

huh....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject: RE: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Sep 15, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Great review -- Nippon Ichi is Japan First Software, and you refer to it as a man. Not sure if that was intentional. Smile

Other than that, I've got Disgaea 1, Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle, etc. so it's only a matter of time before I find Disgaea 2 and play it to death.

FroadOffline
Post subject: RE: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Sep 15, 2006 - 10:32 PM
no0b
no0b

How... How did I not know this existed? I played the [Giant Teddy Bears and Lollipops] out of the first one, and I loved it. Must go find...

ZadeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2006 - 04:09 PM
no0b
no0b

Thanks for the thumbs up. =P

lordbyronIII wrote:
Great review -- Nippon Ichi is Japan First Software, and you refer to it as a man. Not sure if that was intentional. Smile

-and wow. I never realised that before. I can't believe as much as I've played the games that I failed to make the connection. Oh well, thanks for telling me. =P

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Apr 07, 2007 - 06:11 PM

As my avatar is clearly saying, I'm Professor Anthrax for a reason.

RebirthOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Apr 07, 2007 - 09:39 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

.....Nippon = Japan in Japanese

I wish Auburn taught some sort of Oriental language!!!!

vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Apr 08, 2007 - 12:23 AM
G0dlike
G0dlike

They stopped offering Japanese language the semester before I entered school (so that means it was last taught way back in Spring 2000)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
Goji_of_the_SquirrelOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Apr 09, 2007 - 04:48 PM

Um... there are Chinese and Japanese classes being taught in the area. Or at least there were last Fall. I'm sure they're still around.

And what the deuce is wrong with my great review? Like YOU could review Castle of the Winds any better without having played it in years? Hah!

Anyway, Disgaea 1 was a great game. I'm sure Disgaea 2 is sweet.

RebirthOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories  PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 - 08:44 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

I meant specifically the university, but if that's what you meant then where the fuzzy heck do I sign up? Spending extra money cramps my style :p

Yo.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic