View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CDplayaOffline
Post subject: Final Fantasy III (DS)  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2008 - 11:56 PM

Goodness this was a hard game to finish. This is not like the NES version, where all you had to do was wait until you got your ninja/sage combo and then waltz right on through. No, ninjas can't wield all weapons and the sages are like Red Mages on crack, instead of crack in its purest form. Anyway, here is the review.

Story 8/10
Once again, the old Final Fantasy games had writers that actually cared about what they were giving to the audience. There is a good backstory, the plot twists were suprises that made sense, and the newly added sidequests were just fun references to the original make of the game. At the end, all loose ends were tied up and the separation of the four Onionkids into separate characters actually worked out well.

Music 7/10
This is an RPG, so the music gets a little old after a while, but at least it can be tuned out or ignored. Actually you will be glad to hear that victory theme for the millionth time, if it signals the death of a boss. More on that later.

Gameplay
If you like a challange 9/10, If you like easy games 4/10
Here's a basic rundown: find a crystal, get new powers from the classes you acquire, use new powers if you like, find a way to not die. The best way to put this is that you are in a negative situation and the only reason you win is because of your enhanced abilities. There have been several moments where that 10 hp of damage from my MP-less mage saved me from a very painful loss. The standard enemies will give you a small challange until you figure out how to deal with them. If you decide to run from most battles you won't have to worry about leveling up later if you use the class abilities to your advantage (Geomancy, FTW!). Bosses, however will chew you up and spit you out even if you did grind that extra ten levels. This game tests your stragety, luck and gaming skill, not your grinding skill. Overleveling will make the game easier, but will take away from the fun factor.

Difficulty 15/1 (bosses) 7/10 (encounters) 30/1 (final boss)
Bosses are HARD. Run of the mill enemies can be easy depending on your class loadout.(Scholar<Red Dragon< Dragoon) A boss, however could be weak against everything you throw out and still knock you straight to the game over screen. Heck, the final boss took one try, but I spent about 28 turns doing the revive/heal shuffle.

Overall 8/10
Regardless of its flaws this is still a good game to play for those familiar with FF I & V. It has a decent story and good gameplay. I wouldn't recommend this as the first FF game for most people though. I say start with the first one made.

Reply with quote Back to top
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Final Fantasy III (DS)  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2008 - 04:50 PM

you dont have to be minied to fight big rat = easier than NES version.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
CDplayaOffline
Post subject: RE: Final Fantasy III (DS)  PostPosted: Mar 25, 2008 - 01:05 PM

NES versions of games are generally harder anyway. Hey, why don't you do a comparison review?

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Final Fantasy III (DS)  PostPosted: Mar 25, 2008 - 11:05 PM

I havent beaten the DS version yet, gotta buy it first I guess. I played a friends copy up until that part and promptly gave it back in disgust. Currently I am to busy with Racketboys Together Retro.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic