View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Goji_of_the_SquirrelOffline
18 Post subject: Castle of the Winds (PC Only)  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2005 - 12:26 PM

Fastbilly and I were talking in Foy the other day about this game, so I decided I'd use my memory to review it.

CASTLE OF THE WINDS

You open a door just in time to see a stone giant turn the corner at the end of the new corridor. You are now faced with a critical decision, do you run backwards into the room, charge the stone giant down, or shoot the stone giant in the head with a magic missile?

The above is an example of the dungeon crawl experience found in every action-packed save file for Castle of the Winds! However, death and destruction isn't all the game is about. There's the love of character creation, the vengeful storyline, the intrigue of identifying items, the Shock and Awe of casting spells, and the adrenaline pumping action of running from two manticores (Like Boris, they're INVINCIBLE!), and the eye-popping graphical design!

Character creation is a must in any game, for if you have just met your character, you won't really know them. However, character creation in Castle of the Winds is quite unlike any other game. First things first, you shove your points into the four, count 'em, FOUR stats: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and Intelligence! Not only does putting points into these four stats increase the power of your character, but it also makes the blue bars next to each stat RISE! Now that's class! After you pick your stats, it's time to chose your character icon. Are you male? Female? Or custom? Castle of the Winds revolutionized character creation by allowing for custom icons to be used as your character. Don't like AOL? Then just use its icon as your character and run screaming into the depths of the dungeon. However, for the more serious players, you may actually want to follow the Storyline.

I know what you're thinking, and that is a big yes. The storyline written here IS as if Heino himself had written it. Now forgive me, because it's been a while since I submerged myself in the story, but it goes a little something like this. Something (I'm thinkin' goblins! Scary!) killed your family (Revolutionary, I tell you!)! Oh, and they burned your farm, slaughtered all your animals, and stepped all over your flower garden. Once they were satisfied that everyone but you had been killed, they ran away like little girls back up to the mine at the top of the hill. A few years later, you thirst for revenge! In your blue speedo (If you're using the male game icon. It's a bikini for the ladies! Raawr!), you storm the mine. Oh, and there's something about a medallion. I forget exactly what it says. Of course, if I were in the game, I'd just scribble all this down on a sheet of paper and cast Identify on it!

That's right, you can Identify unknown objects! Is it enchanted with effects of general ass kickery? Is it cursed with the bowels of a hundred unborn troll kin (Not actually a game curse!)? Is it just distilled water that you just wasted a valuable scroll on? What will it be!?!? Cast Identify! Yes, that's right. Castle of the Winds is the original PC Gambling game! Suck on that, Texas Hold 'em fans! Of course, identify isn't the only spell you get.

Watch for the next half of the review: Castle of the Winds, Part Two!!!

Reply with quote Back to top
AckOffline
Post subject: RE: Castle of the Winds (PC Only)  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2005 - 12:58 PM

This review...sucks my ass. But saddly, it's also very true.

StrangelOffline
Post subject: RE: Castle of the Winds (PC Only)  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2005 - 05:23 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

OMG there's someone else in the world who has played Castle of the Winds?!?!?
If anyone wants to try it I have the original disks of Castle of the Winds 1 and 2 lying around that I can upload somewhere.
It runs on Windows 3.1 or greater Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number 
AckOffline
Post subject: RE: Castle of the Winds (PC Only)  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2005 - 07:02 PM

Actually, there's a huge group of us who played Castle of the Winds, chief. It seems to be gaining a cult following again.

CoyoteOffline
Post subject: RE: Castle of the Winds (PC Only)  PostPosted: Aug 25, 2006 - 03:04 AM

You guys also know that there is a project to make castle of the winds an Multiplayer right? It perished.. kind of hard to make an MMO out of a turn based ya know..
This was the link to the page for the project, but it is dead or down: http://vengeance.et.tudelft.nl/cow/
Apparentely it got released open, but I can't find it open, HOWEVER, I did find this which may be the same thing: http://maz.byondhome.com/Castle/
I will do more research and let you guys know whats happening.

And I played both of them also. They were really fun in a sad sort of way...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject: RE: Castle of the Winds (PC Only)  PostPosted: Aug 25, 2006 - 01:20 PM

good gravy, it's all true! but yeah, the second link still hasn't been updated in almost a year.

Goji_of_the_SquirrelOffline
Post subject: RE: Castle of the Winds (PC Only)  PostPosted: Sep 15, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Is that REALLY all I wrote? God, no wonder people don't like it.

APATHY
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2008 - 04:09 PM
no0b
no0b

wow dude, castle of the winds wrecked back n tha day.

i think i played it between ADOM and Ragnarok on my 486DX/66.

Talk about old school

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic