View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
StickOffline
Post subject: Fall 2004 KOTN: Call of Duty  PostPosted: Sep 09, 2004 - 08:19 PM

First Game, Friday Oct 8th: Individual Format
Second Game, Dec 3rd: Team Format.

Due to the popularity of FPS's in general and the variety of gametypes that are available in Call of Duty, there will be 2 Friday night, KOTN tourneys this quarter. Both will contribute to the same ladder.

Ladder and Challenges
The ladder will be based (kills - deaths). A minimum of 10 (of either) is required to place on the ladder.

Individual Format:
Game Type: DM, TDM, and BEL. (In TDM the team's win/loss status is ignored)
Maps: I will chose maps from the default (v1.0) maps
there will be 4, 30 minute rounds, with breaks inbetween.
Final ladder placements will be spaced 10 points apart (there will be no ties), offset by +5.

Team Format:
Game Type: SD, HQ, TDM.
Maps: I will chose maps from the default (v1.0) maps
There will be 4, 30 minute rounds, with breaks inbetween. A 5th round will be played in case of tie.
Teams will be chosen by me, based purely on ladder position. (I have a system to do it, but I will not share it). Teams will be consistent over all 4 sessions.
Every member of the winning team will get 20 points for each round won, losers receive -20. Individual scores are ignored.

Last edited by Stick on Oct 08, 2004 - 04:44 AM; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2004 - 08:55 PM

This stuff is subject to some tweaking. I may place caps on challenges, and may adjust the value of the tourney.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2004 - 05:00 AM

Ok, the first Call of Duty game will be this friday, oct 8th, at around 8-10PM. I would like to try and use the 1.04 patch, but we will see if that is feasible when we get to the lab. The basic tourney is as stated above, and the maps are as follows (with 20 minute time limit for each one).

TDM: Rocket
TDM: Railyard
DM: Chateau
BEL: Carentan

So I will try and follow this kind of timeline:
8:00 everyone joins the first match, iron out technical difficulties and practice.
8:10 match 1 starts
8:30 match 1 ends, next map is started, break and/or practice
8:40 match 2 starts
9:00 match 2 ends, next map is started, break and/or practice
9:10 match 3 starts
9:30 match 3 ends, next map is started, break and/or practice
9:40 match 4 starts
10:00 tourney over.

StickOffline
Post subject: Results, tourney #1  PostPosted: Oct 09, 2004 - 02:42 AM

hey that was a good turnout! 17 people participated... and the results...
Name/final score/initial ladder points:
Stick 194/85
Fastbilly 183/75
Ack 163/65
xero 159/55
Delimeat 154/45 (curse you, delimeat, the cause of 1/2 my deaths)
Vise the Stompy 151/35
Scorpion 119/25
Ivan the Viking 98/15
zorg 94/5
Rebirth 61/-5
SSP 52/-15
TurboBison 36/-25
ForetoldOne 33/-35
Barky 32/-45
Wolf 24/-55
GirlyWolf 10/-65
Ixcila 5/-75

You can find the up to date KOTN ladder at www.auburn.edu/~stichry/KOTN.xls

BarkyOffline
Post subject: RE: Results, tourney #1  PostPosted: Oct 09, 2004 - 04:20 AM

man, i was second after the first match but i had to leave, i couldve stolen it from all of you

delimeatOffline
Post subject: Re: Results, tourney #1  PostPosted: Oct 09, 2004 - 05:13 AM
no0b
no0b

Stick wrote:

Delimeat 154/45 (curse you, delimeat, the cause of 1/2 my deaths)

Sorry, but salted, cured meat will do that to you.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: Results, tourney #1  PostPosted: Oct 09, 2004 - 02:21 PM

Im sure that on railyard I was killed by really only two people: Ack and Rebirth. Id say atleast 40 of my deaths were you, then again about 40 of yours were me, it evens out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
TurboBisonOffline
8 Post subject: RE: Re: Results, tourney #1  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2004 - 09:47 PM

This is said, remind me again why I'm competing for KOTN

StickOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Results, tourney #1  PostPosted: Oct 20, 2004 - 02:11 AM

TurboBison wrote:
This is said, remind me again why I'm competing for KOTN

Good question, TurboBison. Excuse me if I answer at length. The idea of the KOTN is complex Smile
In fact, I'm not going to go into the KOTN right now:
Let's talk about the ladders. TurboBison, you did pretty crappy at the Call of Duty KOTN game. That's fine. Not everyone has played it alot, and there are many who really never care to play it again. Then there are those who, either because they haven't played much or because they don't have nat3r4L skilz, that don't do well, but like the game at their own intermediate level of play.
Let's assume you are one of those. So now what? Every time we play on Friday you get stomped, and you're not learning, and possibly not having fun. But, a quick glance at the ladders and you can quickly find 5 or 6 other people who are around the same level of play. At the next Friday meeting have a 3on3 where you're playing against other people at your level. Even better, advertise a challenge earlier in the week (only people below ladder rung 6 can participate, or something like that) hopefully it generates some interest and people that normally hate getting eaten alive start to look forward to a newbie game.

Well, that wasn't as long as I thought, but I didn't get into KOTN. This semester may not be a good example. We started late, were reduced to one day a week, and the website was started from fresh, so it doesn't seem like a lot of people are reading it.

This week's game, Atomic Bomberman!!!! A game anyone can kick butt in, as demonstrated last Friday Smile

Stick

TurboBisonOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Results, tourney #1  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2004 - 06:30 PM

Hey Stick you have me placed on the ladder twice, once at 12 and once at 23

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Results, tourney #1  PostPosted: Oct 28, 2004 - 10:41 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

how about updating? www.auburn.edu/~stichry/KOTN.xls

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
StickOffline
Post subject: updated  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2004 - 11:46 AM

jokeyxero wrote:
how about updating? www.auburn.edu/~stichry/KOTN.xls

Done, sorry for the delay. xero is now the King! xero, I expect to challenge you in RoN and be challenged in CoD. You and Billy should team on me. I don't expect one lucky streak to keep me #1 forever.

Stick

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: updated  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2004 - 12:19 PM

oooooh, team up against stick in CoD. Pavlov, team deathmatch to 50, original version....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: updated  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2004 - 12:47 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

fastbilly1 wrote:
oooooh, team up against stick in CoD. Pavlov, team deathmatch to 50, original version....
sounds like a plan ;oP

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
StickOffline
Post subject: 2nd call of duty tourney  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 06:10 PM

At the time of writing, the second Call of Duty tourney is still several weeks away. I'd like to go ahead and start polling for maps you guys would like to play. This tourney will be strictly team-based. I'm thinking 2 TDM, 1 SD, and 1 HQ. Given that I'd rather not use the same maps we used in the first tourney, and limiting to maps included with version 1.0 of CoD, please post your suggestions.

For example, I think POW camp makes an excellent HQ map, Harbor or Pavlov for SD, Hurtgen and Brecourt for TDM, with Railyard HQ as a tiebreaker.

So, make your suggestions, but remember this one is all about the team effort, individual scores will have no effect.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: 2nd call of duty tourney  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 07:23 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

pavlov makes me happy; that map with the machine gun'd window doesn't. most everything else is neutral.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: 2nd call of duty tourney  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 08:47 PM

Id say no brecourt, I hate that friggin map, even though sitting on top of the fence with the bipod was fun. How does SD work anyway, I cant remember. I know headquaters is just king of the hill, but search and destroy has eluded me for some reason.

StickOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: 2nd call of duty tourney  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 09:29 PM

fastbilly1 wrote:
Id say no brecourt, I hate that friggin map, even though sitting on top of the fence with the bipod was fun. How does SD work anyway, I cant remember. I know headquaters is just king of the hill, but search and destroy has eluded me for some reason.

Search and Destroy, one team must try and plant explosives on one of two targets before the time limit, then keep the defenders from defusing. The defending team must either keep the attackers from planting the explosives, or defuse them if they are planted.

billy: HQ is a little more complicated than "King of the Hill", so if you have a chance try and familiarize yourself with the details so that you can explain them to your teammates before we play (unless things changes you and I will be "captains" of the two teams).

xero: the map with the machined gun'd window (Carentan) was used in the previous tourney, so we won't use it again.

billy: I like brecourt for TDM because there are several places that might be slightly advantages to "roost", although none are great. In general, it is one of the easiest maps to understand for newcomers. However, there are lots of good maps, so give your preferences here.

so there won't be any suprises, the method I'm going to use to select teams won't be the straightforward back and forth. Team 1 will be ladder positions #1, #4, #5, #8, #9, etc..., Team 2 will be ladder positions #2, #3, #6, #7, etc... (Obviously skipping over people who aren't present in the tourney. Folks participating who are not already on the ladder will be 'picked' by the captains, coin toss determining who gets first pick.

How does that sound?

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 2nd call of duty tourney  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 10:54 PM

Ah sorry, I confused Brecourt and Carentan. So Search and Destroy is pretty much a purdier Counterstrike?

As for HQ all it really is is moving king of the hill, seriously. But it does make for some interesting games in Carentan, or however you spell that place. I cant remember if we played at dawnville last time, but if we didnt lets play that for something other than SD. We played SD there once and that was onesided. Other than that everything else sounds good.

StickOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 2nd call of duty tourney  PostPosted: Nov 09, 2004 - 02:35 AM

pavlov Search and Destroy is nice, I think. Defenders start in the middle house, offense starts in the house connected by trench. There are two goals, one on 2nd story and one on 3rd, I'm pretty sure. The number of entrances to the pavlov house and it's general maze structure make it a fun game for both sides. imho.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic