View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 15, 2006 - 07:46 PM

Im looking into purchasing a portable media player, since my mp3 player is a pultry Irock 128 and still takes AAA batteries. Most would think to just get an Ipod and be done with it, but I do enjoy ebooks and while you can transfer them to the ipod, it has a 50,000 character limit. I am unsure if this limit is removed if you dual boot into linux.

The thought of getting another palm has crossed my mind, with a 4 gig SD/CF card it would be enough of anything, but I would like atleast 10 gigs of space. And if the jump to video is worth it, I would like to have a screen that would allow me to watch subtitled works atleast somewhat decently.

Ive got roughly $500 I could spend on this so I am open to an array of suggestions.

From the way things are looking for the next few months Ill be doing a job way beneath me, turndown attendent, and thus I will have a lot of down time to fill. Most people who have had the job just talk on their phone, well I cant do that and would much rather read, watch a movie, or perhaps play a game.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Reply with quote Back to top
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 15, 2006 - 07:48 PM

So in short:
Looking for a 10 gig plus portable media player
Must play mp3 and be able to txt files (ebooks)
Video is a plus but being able to read subtitles is mandatory

USB2.0/Firewire 800 and either AA or Li-ion (Li-ion prefered)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
SatertekOffline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 16, 2006 - 01:52 AM
Mobile Camper
Mobile Camper

The iAudio X5

Friend of mine got one and loves it.

Don't know about subtitles though. I've never even heard of any portable player supporting them.

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/x5/

Quote:
Features

MP3, OGG, WMA, ASF, FLAC, WAV, MPEG4* (video) playback, FM Radio Receiver and Recording,
Voice Recording, Line-In Recording
TXT (Text), JPEG** (Image) File Viewer (Image Enlargement, Background Screen Designation)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 22, 2006 - 02:25 AM

imbeded subtitles is what I was hoping to imply, but ohwell thanks for the suggestion. I thought about it, but I was suckered into an Ipod video with a 3 year warrenty. The reason I went for it was according to my warrenty if it breaks for any mechancial reason, ie battery stops taking charge or screen cracks, they will replace it. Not only that, if they dont have my model, I get an upgrade to the bigger size or newer type, or both depending on their stock. Foolish Bestbuy - that and it was on sale.

Now we wait until Ipodlinux is supported on the videos and then I can have my 5 gigs of ebooks and 10 gigs of music on the go.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 22, 2006 - 02:28 AM

And since your playing Dystopia, how do you feel about it, is it quality? Im moving over to playing more HL2 mods, since I have nothing better to do (lets face it BF2 gets boring if you play it seriously all the time), and Ack raves over it stating it as a stopgap until Fortress Forever comes. But I am hesitant on this one, what can you compare it to?

I ask this as it installs/updates...

SatertekOffline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 22, 2006 - 05:54 AM
Mobile Camper
Mobile Camper

Dystopia is awesome, definately the most polished HL2 mod out there. HUGE learning curve compared to most mods though. (Even NS) You gotta know exactly where everything is in every map to be good. And with every new map released you gotta go though the long process of figuring out where everything is, especially if you like decking (hacking) as I do.

Not really sure what I could compare it to though except for Tron and a small pinch of TFC. It's pretty unique.

Boo for your iPod decision...why wait for Linux on the iPod when you get can the iAudio that does everything you need it to NOW for cheaper? And it plays FLAC! Thats hardcore.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 22, 2006 - 12:29 PM

Factory AND Store Warrenty wins over Factory only. And the fact I can go to any Bestbuy and get the replacement. Though I do hate buying the main stream device.

It does play flak, but it doesnt play APE, and Ive got a chunk of those. Then again I dont really know whay I have any APEs.

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 22, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Yeah, Apple's won over a _lot_ of people with their good Warranty. My friend's dad has a 60GB w/video, and told me that when the screen on it went out they were prompt at fixing it and he had it back within a week.

HL2... worth getting? Do I, with my paltry 1.8 GHz amd, 128MB PCI Radeon 9250, 512 MB RAM, have the specs to run it without it chunking?

The minimum requirements seem to be getting more and more off in games lately.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 22, 2006 - 06:23 PM

better the card and yes for the single player atleast. I played through first on a 2ghz p4, 768 megs of PC2100 and an FX5200 pci. If you are stuck with the PCI cards go for the 6200 PCI or the 5500 PCI, they are inhertily the same thanks to the PCI slots capabilities...

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 23, 2006 - 03:48 AM

'preciate it

SatertekOffline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 23, 2006 - 04:15 AM
Mobile Camper
Mobile Camper

HL2 runs on pretty much anything, it just won't look too pretty on older hardware.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: portable media player suggestions?  PostPosted: May 23, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Well with a PCI card its going to stutter alot with explosions. So there is one fight thats going to drive you nuts - though it was one of the coolest parts of the game.

Now HL1 runs on anything, I was playing it on my toaster this morning.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic