View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
T-BirDOffline
Post subject: R.I.P. Stick  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2006 - 12:27 AM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

I found out this afternoon that Ryan Stich, aka "Stick", aka "Founder of the Auburn Computer Gaming Club and its first president" died in a fatal motorcycle accident about 2 weeks ago.

So the club should do something to commemorate him, I believe. It should be something somewhat permanent, as well. What, however, I don't really know yet. Any suggestions?

Even though we were both around at the beginning of the club (Fall 1996), I never knew Stick very well. I was a freshman, and he was (I think) a grad student...just as most of the old leadership was. I never got involved in the running of the club until I was secretary/treasurer several years later (and president 2000/2001). Until then, I was just some guy with long hair who showed up to play games (mostly Quake at the beginning). Stick's gaming tastes were usually a bit different.

My first significant memory is of the first O-Meeting, held in the second floor of the building on the northwest part of Toomer's Corner. I believe it was Little Anthony's Cigars at the time. The few of us (8 to 10?) were all crowded into one U-shaped booth with one person (either X or Stick) sitting on a chair on the open end of the table. We went around the table introducing ourselves, and when it was my turn, I gave my name, handle, gaming preferences, and said that my major was architecture.
IMMEDIATELY Stick says "Oh, so we won't be seeing you much." in a teasing tone.
....little did he know how wrong he was Wink

Later there was the Descent II 'Burger King' game, which may have been the most miserable 20 minutes of gaming in my life, as I had such a horrendous time controlling it.

Or the Minesweeper tournament (which was much more fun than it sounds like...shared misery can lead to fun times I guess).

Though most of all I remember him always playing Scorched Earth...and trying to get people to play M.A.X. - neither of which, unfortunately I ever did.

Thanks to him, this club exists...and thanks to that, I've made several good friends, had some amazingly great times, and was introduced to many great games (Die by the Sword, Carmageddon, Subspace, Age of Empires), that I may not have tried otherwise. Because of the club, my 6 years of college were enormously better than they might have been without, and for that, I'll always be in his debt.

Thank you Stick.

TBirD's collection

Reply with quote Back to top
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: R.I.P. Stick  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2006 - 12:36 AM

The King is Dead, Long Live the King

The true El Presidente. A great adversary, a wise sage, and a good friend.

Rest in Peace my friend.

I met him one night in club in 03, when came back to finish his graduate work. He didnt use the name stick at all, he played as Col. Mittens. Then when leaving I was being nice and talking to him, asking him how he found out about the club and all. To which he responded "I founded it" got in his grenn VW bus and drove off. Over the year and the next he hosted many board game nights at his place, which became many of ours Tuesday or Thursday staples. If I only have two memories of Stick it will be of one of those board game nights where we played Forumla De and Shogun for many hours, and the epic Call of Duty King of the Net tournament which pitched his team against my own.

In his honor, I suggest a Scortched Earth, MAX, Atomic Bomberman, or Mindsweeper tourney at Tigerlan every year. The prize should be a meal at Burger King and ofcourse the cherished crown. In memory of the True King of the Net.

Also for those who did not know. Stick and his cousin (I think) created a band called ChapstickNation. The only mp3 of it I know is here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=251320

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
BanditOffline
Post subject: RE: R.I.P. Stick  PostPosted: Nov 20, 2006 - 02:12 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

I have 2 entire cd's worth of his cd's and his fiance has much much more if you are interested contact Raze. He knows her phone number and address.

I stopped by her house on the way back home from Savannah this weekend and grabbed a copy of everything related to UltimateGame I could find on his harddrive. So I think I have the source code in multiple stages. If any of you would like to pick up the project and complete it for Stick please let me know.

Raze: can you get her email address? I tried and apparently failed as I got a bounced email today.

So guys, here is one thing we must do. All of you post your favorite memories of Stick here on this thread. They will be forwarded to his fiance in a week or two so they can be included in a book his aunt is creating in his honor. Beyond that I support fastbilly's idea of a silly game at Tigerlan every year in honor of Stick, that would truly be cool.

So I knew stick back in 97 about 2 quarters (Auburn was on quarters then) after the club was founded. Gryn and I joined the club the same day. I spent the evening playing Scorched Earth with Gryn and Stick. Eventually a guy named Speed installed Quake on my pc and showed me how to play. To which I insisted I already knew cause I played doom before. Stick walked by and said "wow you play with the keyboard?" I was like how should I play? "um with the mouse" Yea I had no clue at all.

A guy named Gungho was the PR officer, he had setup a deal where we got a free whopper coupon every week from Burger King. So we would let the officers choose a game with odd rules to play every week. So Stick choose Descent II. Only he swore he was so good at it he would take on the entire club, and the 1st person to kill him 3 times, or the last person alive after 3 deaths would win. After like 20 minutes he had killed everyone, Gungho being the last one allive slaughtered by Stick. We were so humbled by the event the game was never played again.

Stick was always creative, he announced on a Monday via our email list that Minesweeper was going to be the Burger King challenge that week. So the rules were the basic game, and the person who had the lowest time after 10 minutes would win. I hadn't won a single burger king game yet, so I practiced all week and got my time down to less than a minute to win with a win ratio of about 7/10. So I just knew I was going to smoke everyone. We got all set up and ready and stick started his watch. He walked around the room in a circle talking about people while they played. So when he would come by may pc, he would get really close and say watch out guys Gary is about to win, and his time is only 39 right now. That would blow my concentration and BOOM I would loose, He would walk away looking at the next guys machine, and I would scream, " MY NAME IS CARY!" and start over. About 2 minutes later he would come by again and go Hey guys Gary is about to win again and his time is only 43 right now, crack BOOM goes my concentration. Stick walks away again talking about Vector about to win, and I would Scream again, "DAMNIT MY NAME IS CARY". "UH OH guys Vector just won you got to beat 83 seconds.", Stick. "That's easy if you quit distracting me Stick, I can beat 60 seconds.", me. So now I'm frustrated, trying to go fast, watching my clock throwing off my time, and I blowup about 10 more times, finally at the wire, I hit the zone again and I'm about to win even though my time is high at like 60+ seconds. Stick saunders over, and Startsup "This one is a sqweaker guys Gary is about to win he is really close and only has 68 seconds.", Stick. "Look Stick my name is Cary," me BOOM. "Ah oh well guys Vector wins." , Stick. At the top of my lungs, "STICK, MY NAME IS CARY DAMN IT, STOP CALLING ME GARY, YOU TOTALLY THREW ME OFF.", Stick stunned looks at me and says oh sorry, "Well Vector hear you go." I stubbornly play Minesweeper the rest of the night trying to prove to everyone I can beat that time. ... to this day I have not played minesweeper again.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: R.I.P. Stick  PostPosted: Nov 20, 2006 - 03:35 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

I joined club in the Fall of 2000 so Stick was already gone by the time I got here. I didn't meet him until he returned under the handle Col. Mittens. As Russell (fastbilly) said, he just kinda popped in, played, and left. Russell told me about the event and the next week I made a point to meet him. The best memories I have of him are the board game nights at his place. He'd get a few people together and we would play board games none of us had ever heard of but were apparently huge world-wide games. Then there was the overly-serious Call of Duty KotN tourney and Stick's absurdly fair scoring system. Other than those there were the countless games with weird rules we'd play. And Gish. Thank you Stick for introducing Gish, even though nobody else liked it. (Yay for physics-based games). Not everything he wanted us to try may have hit the mark, but the shot was always creative and performed in a way none of us had seen before. Stick started a spirit of creativity in club that I hope continues forever. He will be sorely missed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
LynxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2006 - 05:10 AM
no0b
no0b

He was Stick. He was less often Mittens. He was the master of Descent often taking on the whole club at once and usually winning. His greatest disappointment I think was nobody would play M.A.X. with him.

He was a good guy who cared about people. He was full of mirth and creativity. He worked hard to make sure the club succeeded but never forgot that it was all for fun. The club was his creation and it was only very reluctantly he passed the torch to others. The world is a sadder place without him.

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2006 - 12:22 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

Stick made it his personal mission to play games with whomever came into the club, but ultimately he would pull them into his latests favorite turn based game. In the end he left me knowing about many styles and types of games I would have never played in all my years, and left me a more rounded gamer. And in the end though I didn't know it at the time, he became a friend and gave me many more friends than I gave him, which helped me through college.

I still remember this game called Big Red Racing. We used to play it quite a bit until Carmageddon came out. You could race, air boats, cars, trucks, and other odd cars. But you could crash into each other and blow up the cars. The people who had no chance at winning would just play ram the other guys. Oddly enough Stick was always the Red car and won quite a bit. A year or so later when Carmageddon came out, someone was talking about BRR and it caused Rusty or someone to check it out of the library and take it home. The next meeting, he announced the Red cars all go faster. So Stick, wherever you are, good one, you totally tricked us all. You will not be forgotten.

T-BirDOffline
1 Post subject: Some early Stickmails.  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2006 - 06:55 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

The first Gamers-specific mail I have of his (notice the "copmuter" at the end Wink :

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 18:06:03 -0500 (CDT)
To: gamers@Eng.Auburn.EDU
Subject: Attention!!!

There will be a little bit of MAX tonight, around 8 or 9.
Anyone interested is welcome to join!!

Stick

EE undergraduate, looking for work...
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~stichry/resume.html

DJ, International Show, WEGL Auburn, AL, USA.
http://www.auburn.edu/~stichry/I_Show.html

Founder of the Computer Gaming Club.
http://www.auburn.edu/student_info/copmuter_gaming

TBirD's collection

T-BirDOffline
1 Post subject: Establishing the club.  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2006 - 07:02 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

Note that X's name is "John", not "Jack"....right Gary?

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 16:29:16 -0500 (CDT)
To: gamers@Eng.Auburn.EDU
Subject: (Pres) Word up!

Ok, the full e-mail boxes I promised during my cam-pain were not just
hype! Here to deliver, it's a set of decrees and announcements that I
hope everyone will pay attention to...
Broken into bight sized chunks:

Organizational Meeting:
Wed, Oct. 15th. 8:30PM. Place: TBA (that means to be announced)
For those new to the idea, we get together and have non-gaming meetings
every so often. You are required to attend one per quarter to be
considered a member (dues paying or not). The reason for this is for
officers and members alike to bring up ideas, suggestions, gripes and have
in-your-face discussion. Bad vibes out, good vibes in. Kind of
psycho-therapy for our club.

Dues:
$10 per quarter. payable to Sec. X (Jack Ritterbush). If he's not
around, you can stuff bills in my pocket, but try for him first (he's a
go-er).
Due date: 15th. That gives us the Saturday and Wednesday meetings to get
it done.
Reasons; read the constitution. There will be perks aplenty for
dues-payers.
With the dues we can pay for new games, equipment, presents, parties,
whatever. We want to be democatic about this, so, before or on the 15th,
everyone who has paid dues can suggest as many items as they would like,
for what to buy. Between now and then the mailing list is fair game for
discussions and propaganda to influence other people to suggest what you
are interested in. On the 16th, it will be very simple. Given cash
allowances, we will pick the most-suggested items, and place orders
immediately. Hopefully, it will be quick enough so that everyone will
have lots of time to enjoy the purchases during the quarter. Your
suggestions should also be filed with X (privately).

Organisations-day:
When is O-day? I forgot. I think it's either 13th or 15th. Anyway, we
will need some volunteers to man the booth, and more to create the booth.
Just mark your calenders for now...

Poster contest:
Just wanted to clarify that the deadline is this Saturday. We want to
post them before O-day. If you have a good idea, but it will cost $5 to
print or whatever, bring a visual description of the idea. If it's good
enough, it could be competitive. It's a $10 prize value, folks!

Ladders:
OK, you've read this far.. now the fun stuff. We are going to start an
official ladder ranking for the players of our favorite games (you know,
like Descent, Scorched Earth, and MAX -- just kidding!). This will
probably be open only to dues-paying members, we'll see. Anyway, look
forward to our first record-making contests this weekend. X is in charge
of this, so we'll hopefully hear more from him before then.

Attack of the Colossal E-Mail:
thanks for your time, guys. My box is always open to comments.

Stick

T-BirDOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2006 - 07:13 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

"Jack"? Wink

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:22:56 -0500 (CDT)

OK, folks, this Saturday's away game starts at 5PM (I think), putting it
right in sync with our usual time.
Hmmmm.
In fairness to those who really don't care about football, We'll open the
doors at ... 6PM. In fairness to those who DO like football, we won't
start this weeks' ladder (Quake) until .. whenever the football
game is over, perhaps 8:30PM. Remember to bring headphones and joysticks
(if you have more than one of either, please share them with less
fortunate). How does that sound?

For those who haven't been to a meeting before, we meet in Shop Building
1, you can check our web page for a cool map that Jack did. (Web page URL
is in the INFO EMAIL, or look under Auburn Organizations...).

Only one person requested a game to be included in the agenda. What's up?
I figured lots of people have games that they would like to play...

Bring them anyway, because the agenda is only put together to help you
manage your time during a meeting. If you don't want to play a game,
that's fine!

Stick

-------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:30:15 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: (PRES) agenda

6:00 Open doors
6:30 Interstate '76. (I'll give a short driver's ed. to cover the basics
since most of you have never played)
7:30 Jedi Knight. (bring CDs!!)
8:30 Break for announcements, if any
Opening of Quake ladder.

Its never too late to pay dues, kids...

Stick

--------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 18:52:27 -0600 (CST)
Subject: (PRES) meetings this week!!! Check it out!

Wed. 11-12PM, Challenge matches.
Sat. open doors at 5PM. regular meeting. Agenda to come.

SUNDAY -- Organisational Meeting!!!!! 6PM, Gatti's!
There are still many active gamers who have not attended an O-meeting.
This is your last chance for the quarter. You will not be considered a
member of the club if you don't attend 1 meeting per quarter!
We will award the KOTN prizes among other things. The KOTN scoreboard
will be closed for the quarter Sat night after the meeting, so now is the
time for some last minute challenges. Challenge smart!
Multiple prizes will be awarded, so many have a chance to win!

With love,
EL Pres

-------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Holy MOther of GOD!!!

One (or 2) words. M.A.X. 2
Guys, you've got to check the website out. This game looks about 3 years
ahead of it's time, and these days 3 years is like 50 years 10 years ago.
OR something.

Anyway, check out MAX2 at www.interplay.com
You will thank yourself. Me? I'm still buzzing...

Stick

-------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:17:03 -0600 (CST)
Subject: (PRES) Meeting on Wednesday

Foy Union, 204. 5PM to 6PM.

If you can't make it, you are quite welcome to contribute to our votes for
ladders (if you attended an O-meeting last quarter) and purchases(if you
paid this quarter). Just email them privately to me.

If you are *frozen* on the KOTN scoreboard, then you should try extra hard
to make it, as you are not considered a member yet.

Football season is over, time to fill the computer lab!!

Stick

-----------------------------------------

Anybody want me to continue this?

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2006 - 04:08 AM
G0dlike
G0dlike

This is amazing, how did you manage to keep all those emails for so long. It is like a time capsule. I bet you even have some of me and Speed's idiotic flame wars we used to get into.

Do you have the week of Descent KOTN? or week of Minesweeper?

RazeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2006 - 06:12 PM
no0b
no0b

Hey,
I was in Warner Robins for thanksgiving, and I went by Stick's house and saw Elli earlier this week. She had to show stick's cousins all the computer games and accessories to see if they wanted any of them before she gave them to the club. I'm currently back in Auburn but I'll be heading back to GA for Christmas and I'll pick up what she wants to donate to the club then. She did give me a copy of Formula De so early next semester we'll have a tribute to stick board game night at my house. Oh she's looking to get rid of stick's computer which is pretty cherry. She's looking for a nice laptop if anyone has one they'd like to trade.

Stick was probably the coolest guy I've ever met and that said he started a computer gaming organization. I can't think of a single bad thing that anyone could say about him. He had a charisma like on one I've ever met and an infectious smile. The last time I saw him was about a year ago when bird passed away. We had a few drinks at the ale house and he told me to give him a call when I was back in Warner Robins. I keep kicking myself for not doing that.

Raze

vandylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2006 - 04:26 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

The way he smiled and laughed when we were gaming are my favorite memories - a flash of his pearly whites always lightened the mood.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
zorgthebabyeaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2006 - 10:39 PM
no0b
no0b

R.I.P. Stick

I met him around the same time as Jackal did. He was pretty cool guy. Even if I am not in Auburn anymore, It saddened me as soon as I read the new. I still remember playing that flight simulator game with him. I was playing counter strike and he made me play the simulator that night. I sucked obviously. But it was good memory of playing with stick.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic