View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AshOffline
Post subject: Legacy of Kain (Spoiler & and all 5 of them)  PostPosted: May 05, 2007 - 02:45 AM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

Well, okay, i haven't finished Blood Omen 1.... i don't have a Playstation anymore so i haven't had time to finish it

Game Play:

About 16 hours from start to finish... More or less depending on how many extra things you do (like finding all the extra spells and health bonuses) I have done it as fast as 8, but i like getting the glyphs

The first Soul Reaver, was a lot of fun. The graphics (for its time) were pretty nice, not the first but one of the first decent 3D ps1 platform games. The game starts as Raziel in the spirit realm. First thing you learn is how to change between the physical and ethereal realm. One of the key and by far the most important part of the ethereal realm is the fact that it STOP's time (for everyone except bosses in general, as well as a few special mobs later in the game). One of the most fun/amusing/useful parts of the ethereal realm is that it twists space, so a small collum might turn into a BIG collum. Also, water is like air in the ethereal realm. You can't swim (until the very end of the game) because it hurts vampires.

A few fun hints, if you don't kill the first human vampire slayer you meet, none of the humans will fight you if you find the human city.

This game is a very very nice and fun combination of platform based combat (not extremely challenging if you can master dodging) and puzzels.

Combat:
You can pick up a lot more than you realize. Things on the walls (like almost any spike or banner) You can pick up tourches (vampires burn very easily). Your immune to sunlight, but other vampires aren't. Also, you can throw things (certain spear like weapons are very fun)
From the very begining of the game your pretty much as *powerful* as you will ever be... at least vs a boss. But, you can get a number of spells (in game they are called glyth) that you can use in combat vs your every day mobs which are very useful.

Once you get the Soul Reaver you can find these Forges that give your soul reaver different abilities (like fire) which have a number of good uses

As you kill bosses you gain new abilities. The different clans of vampires have evolved different skills (the ability to swim for instance), these are useful but not so much

Puzzle:
For instance... One point in time you'll run into this room with a few blocks (a common type of puzzel in this game is to flip blocks around and match patterns or colors on the various edges of the blocks with things around you because they act as key's more or less) You have to do things like lift them up ledges (which you can do) also, if you leave the physical realm then time stops (which is the key to this puzzel)

One other thing they liked doing is giving you a very very very small area to manipulate the puzzle peices. So, you gotta get used to doing lots of flipping...

The bosses are always some weird strat (like getting one of them to chasing you into a nice big grinder then settinng it off)

Story:
I love the story of all of these games. IMO you can play the series without playing the first Blood Omen. the whole concept is about destiny... But, the story won't go full circle till the 5th game. Raziel is the greatest gamble of all.

And btw, the elder 'god' as he is called is a punk ass panzy bitch.

And... my battery on my laptop is dying, so ima just do the rest later

Woot! its Pyramid Pony!

Reply with quote Back to top
AshOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2007 - 05:02 AM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

Chronological Order of the Games (for reference)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosgoth_timeline

Soul Reaver 2 is very similar to Soul Reaver 1, but it has a lot more fluid feel in terms of jumping, moving, dodging, and the graphics are better (ps2 vs ps1 obviously)

You go back in time at the and of Soul Reaver (1) and spend most of your time in this game in the age after all the vampires were slaughtered except Kain.

The forges are a lot more important in this game than in the first one. Plus, you can actively change your soul reaver's type. Light, Dark, Fire, Air are your new blade types. There are no glyphs in this game... for some reason they just up and disapeared, and the puzzles have a whole different dynamic than in the last one (they tend to involve a lot more of your environment and a lot less of ordering the blocks in the right order so to speak)

Raziel doesn't really get any new abilities in this game and infact looses some from the previous game, but his soul reaver is a lot more powerful (at a cost).

Blood Omen 2, yet again, different than either soul reaver and the original blood omen in the way it plays. For one, your vampire skills are extremely useful and very different than the any skill in Soul Reaver (1 or 2). You get all sorts of nice skills, like the ability to stealth when your in special places (on no!) which results in insta-gib's if your get close enough to a humee. The movement / dodging system is VERY crummy though... Raziel was quick and agile. Kain in Blood Omen 2 was like a fat kid on a skate board... Yes, there is a *dodge* to the side, but he does it so slow that you might as well take a hit like a little bitch and kill whatever is killing you...
Vampiric Jump is by far the most amusing skill... Traveling through the human city and see a gaurd patrolling the roof top across the street? Just jump across and 1 shot the punk Razz

This game plays very differently than Defiance (which was released after this one) But, it does take place when Kain was more or less still a fresh new vampire and he had not evolved much

vs

he's on the bottom of the 2nd photo

Defiance:

This game adds an interesting twist... Lots of time travel, and story twists and yad yad yad....

The feel of game play is nice, it works, its smoother than any of the other games, Kain doesn't suck as much although his abilities are different than the other blood omens. This game introduced (for the first time) a pseudo-experience bar that allows you to unlock new skills. And, for the first time, you can do attack combo's (like back, down, forward, heavy slash for an upper cut, which is really overpowered because mobs that CAN be knocked in the air can also be kept in the air until they die, but some are to big, good luck with those Razz)

This game is a great fun game, it does have a very significant role in the story line...

And some may ask, well this story line you mention hasn't been talked about much at all for any game except Soul Reaver 1.

Well, i wanted to put that all in one section so, ima do it in my next post. But, i need sleep, i have a final tomorrow.

Woot! its Pyramid Pony!

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic