View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Goji_of_the_SquirrelOffline
Post subject: Linksys Wireless Router Problem  PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 - 03:23 AM

Ok, my girlfriend bought a wireless Linksys router from walmart. She followed the directions and set it up herself (Yeah, I know. Women and Technology. Hawt.) and it worked just fine.

Then she loaned her laptop to her brother and the wireless connection ain't worked since.

So here's what I got:
The wires are fine, 'cause I'm using them now.
Using a LAN cable to connect to the router works fine.
The WLAN light's lit, but the DMZ light isn't. (And the damn thing doesn't say what DMZ stands for. 'Course, she's korean, so... haha)
And, of course, her Laptop doesn't detect any wireless connections at all. None from her router or any others.

So, it's a Wireless-G Broadband Router, Model No.: WRT54G

Any suggestions? I'm gonna keep fiddling with it.

Reply with quote Back to top
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Linksys Wireless Router Problem  PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 - 10:46 AM

good old 54g.

Dont worry about the DMZ, on a home router it is kinda like security on a win98 box. Now if the wireless worked before it left,why would you check the router first? Odds are there is a hard/soft-ware foul up on the laptop. Id say do the quick disable then reable trick. If that doesnt work well log into the router from the other pc and then make sure it is broadcasting a signal.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Linksys Wireless Router Problem  PostPosted: Jun 07, 2007 - 12:45 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

You don't want the DMZ lit unless you actually WANT a computer connected directly to the web w/o the protection afforded by a router. Make sure that the wireless option is turned on in the router. You'll have to visit 192.168.1.1, log in, and make sure it's turned on. You'll probably want to secure it with a password too. Then the laptop needs fiddling.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Linksys Wireless Router Problem  PostPosted: Jun 07, 2007 - 12:46 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

When talking networks, DMZ always means DeMilitarized Zone, which is the connection(s) that are not behind a firewall.

Newer Linksys routers have a habit of the wireless randomly stopping. Lara's does the same thing.

Could be the brother messed up the computer's connections. First, reboot as it fixes most Windows problems. Check her wireless networks in Windows to make sure hers is still in the list. If not, search for it and add it. If it is in the list, then connect to it. If it doesn't work then do a release and renew, or better, click the "Repair Connection" button in the network dialog. If that doesn't work, then wire up to the router and start going through the options, if everything looks correct then disable the wireless and reboot it. When it comes back up then enable the wireless. If that doesn't work then try a different wireless network (go to campus or something). If the other network connects then go home, grab the Linksys, take it back to the store, smash it in front of them*, tell them it was broken out of the box, and go buy a D-Link or something else not Linksys, because you're just going to keep having this problem.

* Disclaimer: That was a joke.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Linksys Wireless Router Problem  PostPosted: Jun 08, 2007 - 02:45 AM
G0dlike
G0dlike

never had a problem with the linksys routers I've worked with.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
PhukFaceOffline
Post subject: RE: Linksys Wireless Router Problem  PostPosted: Jun 08, 2007 - 05:04 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

firmware flash.

vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Linksys Wireless Router Problem  PostPosted: Jun 09, 2007 - 01:39 AM
G0dlike
G0dlike

How many of the suggestions do you think he's proficient enough to accomplish? Wink

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Linksys Wireless Router Problem  PostPosted: Jun 09, 2007 - 09:58 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

vandyl wrote:
never had a problem with the linksys routers I've worked with.

I'll assume you got the older ones that were still running Linux instead of their pos/os. Supposedly that is the problem.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Linksys Wireless Router Problem  PostPosted: Jun 10, 2007 - 11:41 AM

theyve used thier "brand" of linux since 01...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic