View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
EhgretOffline
Post subject: Tekken 5 - 9.5/10  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2005 - 09:36 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

First off so you know my position, I feel that this is the best fighting game out right now. Namco really listened to their fans when making this one. They took out most if not all of the things that people were not pleased with. They have taken out the elevated fighting areas, so no more hits that don't connect. They've also removed the positional change, which was nothing more than a waste.

You now have the ability to create your own profile in which you can customize the way your character looks. This feature is awesome. The only down side to this is the short list of items you can use to customize a character. Each character typically has around 20 items.

Since Tekken 3 Namco has been putting an action adventure game called Tekken Force on the Tekken Series. It has always seemed as if its production was rushed plus it has never been that fun. Now they've replaced Tekken Force with the new game Tekken: Devil Within. In this game you play as Jin and have the ability to turn into Devil Jin. This game plays like Devil May Cry with no guns and a lot more platform action. The main difference between this and Tekken Force is that this is actually fun.

Possibly the best part of the game is the Arcade and Versus mode. In the arcade mode you actually play against created characters in hopes of increasing your rank and earning money to buy more items. The ranking system works similar to the ranking system in Virtua Fighter 4. The Versus system is fun because you can pit your custom character with someone else’s. Let the fun times ensue.

Without a doubt this is the best fighting out. It has some of the best graphics on the PS2. And the still somehow managed to put the original Tekken 1, 2, and 3 on here, just in case you're feeling nostalgic. The only real cons I have with this game are that they did not put enough into creating a custom character. Otherwise this is a must buy.

Reply with quote Back to top
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Tekken 5 - 9.5/10  PostPosted: Mar 08, 2005 - 01:35 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hrm, sounds like Virtua Fighter 4....

I'm sure this is one of the best in the Tekken series, but my stance on that series is they are poor fighting games that lie in confusion somewhere between realistic and arcade. Some of the game details and physics just make no sense and the controls/button combonations rarely go with the actions taken. Much like SNK/Capcom/et al.
It is not without its good points, but everyone one of the games has too many flaws (not just the engine) for me to care to play them seriously.

I will give them points for listening and thinking outside the box. Especially for the arcade machine. That thing is a beautiful piece of work (except for the buttons). I love the idea of allowing to plug in a PS controller. Though it almost feels like a bit too much of a blur between consoles and cabs, but times change.

From what I've played, I'd only give it a 7 out of 10 as a game. 9/10 for a Tekken game.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
EhgretOffline
Post subject: RE: Tekken 5 - 9.5/10  PostPosted: Mar 08, 2005 - 11:11 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

What exactly were the negatives you had with the game? You talk about flaws, but you didn't list any of them.

Last edited by Ehgret on Mar 08, 2005 - 11:16 PM; edited 1 time in total

EhgretOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Tekken 5 - 9.5/10  PostPosted: Mar 08, 2005 - 11:14 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

jokeyxero wrote:
Hrm, sounds like Virtua Fighter 4....

That's kind of a sad comparison.

According to that logic Virtua Fighter is the same game a Street Fighter because they both use punches.

The only real thing that both Tekken and VF have in common is ranking system.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Tekken 5 - 9.5/10  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2005 - 03:37 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually you can change the clothes and stuff in VF, that's what I was referring to; that and the ranking system. Just mainly pointing out it wasn't the first game to do that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
AckOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2005 - 03:59 AM

Plus, Tekken's combat system always felt slow...and I knew lots of button mashers who would get really far. In fact, they would beat the arcade mode and most wouldn't have to look at the screen. I always thought that was kinda sad...

Between Tekken and Virtua Fighter, I'd have to say I like Virtua Fighter more, but maybe I'll give Tekken 5 a try. I was a huge fan of the collectable part of VF4, and I hear the bear guy is back, so why not? Thanks for the review, Ehgret.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic