View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 - 11:56 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

Can't believe I haven't found this before:

http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/e ... /index.htm

It's not exactly like freelancer. It's better imo. I've only played for about on hour but it's pretty cool. It has a dedicated server too. Although I don't think faction ranks will change when playing multiplayer Sad Fortunately, you can use your SP pilot in MP games.

A few better things than Freelancer imo:

Cockpit view.
Joystick support.
Semi-real space-flight. You only use fuel when adjusting speed, maintaining a speed doesn't use boosters or anything. You can also turn off the inertial 'magic system' thingamajig.
Objects like stars have gravity pull. You can get close enough to a star to get pulled to your death.
Flying into planets.... actually seamlessly transitions from space flight to planetary flight. Not as cool as it sounds but still neat. No more 'Entering Atmo*BOOOM*'

Reply with quote Back to top
YeongungOffline
Post subject: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 01, 2009 - 01:43 PM

I'll give it a shot at gamers if I havn't gone insane from essay-induced-lack-of-sleep.

kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 01, 2009 - 04:06 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

Yeah. I'm having to suppress my urge to play the game during finals. I really like most of the game. It's not as complex as X3, but that's a good thing. X3 is just retarded, and even I couldn't get into it other than to look at the awesome graphics.

Evochron also has a pretty decent mouse-flight mode so you don't really NEED a joystick, but it helps. You can also turn off the auto-aiming so you can actually hit people spiraling unlike in Freelancer.

I've been playing around with joystick settings and whatnot. I'm actually going to install the Saitek profiler and start making mode settings and such, but I'm getting pretty decent at cutting IDS (Inertial-damping system) while doing crazy shit like going 3x max speed sideways and adjusting with thrusters etc.

I really, really love the fuel system. The way you fly really determines the amount of fuel you consume, and combat eats through fuel like crazy.

Honestly, I'm pretty impressed with the game especially considering it's made by one guy in DarkBASIC Rolling Eyes.

kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 - 05:14 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

Made some basic gameplay videos:

Last edited by kurtmax_0 on Apr 13, 2010 - 02:37 AM; edited 1 time in total

BanditOffline
Post subject: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2009 - 07:51 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

Is it all on one server/world? I started to install it last night, was super small install. Is there some sort of mega patch or is that it?

kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2009 - 09:26 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

It's very small. I think a new update was released today but you just run the new installer to update. But yeah, it's like 50MB or something.

It's actually similar to Borderlands & Freelancer. That is, you can run a dedicated server for a few players (up to 36 I think), and it's Borderlandy in that you use your single player character in multiplayer and vice-versa (unless the server is set to only allow server-side players).

I'm really liking the game so far. It's really just a straightforward elite clone. The combat is also fairly challenging as well. Dodging missiles can really be a chore. And at the point of the game I'm at... failing to dodge just one missile is instant death fun. This is one of the first space-sims where when I successfully engage and eliminate even 2 or 3 enemies it feels like a real accomplishment. You also need to have your ship fitted for combat or else you will just die. It's also really stressful fighting. A friend of mine was watching me dogfight and said it was one of the coolest fights he'd seen in a space sim. The maneuvers you can do are very numerous with all the thruster control you have, and the fighting is really fast-paced and requires much skill.

The graphics aren't top notch, but for 50mb or so they are pretty good. The systems look really nice. The guy needs to hire some 3d modeler or something to update the ships and stations though. Yeah, it's just one guy programming the game. He's pretty active on the forums too, and responsive to emails. So suggestions very often get implemented into the game.

YeongungOffline
Post subject: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2009 - 02:34 AM

Seems like a fun game, but it looks like it's got a big learning curve. I'm tempted to say huge, but I have the feeling that it really isn't as daunting as it first looks. I tried it with the mouse... dunno if I'd actually play the full game with one, though. I have a feeling that a joystick with lots of buttons would be much, much better.

kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2009 - 03:02 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

Yeongung wrote:
Seems like a fun game, but it looks like it's got a big learning curve. I'm tempted to say huge, but I have the feeling that it really isn't as daunting as it first looks. I tried it with the mouse... dunno if I'd actually play the full game with one, though. I have a feeling that a joystick with lots of buttons would be much, much better.

Yes. It is. I use an X45, which is better than any of the new Saitek joysticks. They aren't sold anymore but you can find them on ebay for not too expensive.

I'm getting kind of down with combat now. Ship fittings make a huge difference, and it's still difficult in the way that... if you position yourself incorrectly even once, you get fucked over and die.

vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 08, 2009 - 12:51 AM
G0dlike
G0dlike

well, I mean, that happens every day - and I guarantee you, sometimes it doesn't matter WHAT position you're in, you get fucked.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 08, 2009 - 12:51 AM
G0dlike
G0dlike

just ask face Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: New Freelancerish game!  PostPosted: Dec 08, 2009 - 04:43 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

Wow. My vandyl call works perfectly. Now I need to find a way to market it.

kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2009 - 11:46 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

More vid:

Last edited by kurtmax_0 on Apr 13, 2010 - 02:38 AM; edited 1 time in total

vandylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2009 - 01:11 AM
G0dlike
G0dlike

hm.

lawlz

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic