View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Fighting Tournament
Marvel vs Capcom 3
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Super Street Fighter 4
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Powerstone
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Soul Calibur 4
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

DarkGryphonOffline
Post subject: Fighting Tournament *Updated with Rulings*  PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 - 04:00 PM

The winner of the contest was Powerstone. Rulings are as follows:

1. No Use of Boss Characters
2. 1v1 matches
3. Best 2 out of 3 rounds- 1 match

Time of Tournament: Sat 3 pm

Last edited by DarkGryphon on Apr 07, 2011 - 11:46 PM; edited 3 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
Sephiroth1112Offline
Post subject: RE: Fighting Tournament  PostPosted: Mar 25, 2011 - 03:30 PM
no0b
no0b

MvC2? Tekken 6?

LuckyNumbah7Offline
Post subject: RE: Fighting Tournament  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2011 - 02:43 PM

MvC2? Why, when 3 is out? Personally, I'd rather play the newer game. And having both on the ballot would be a waste of a slot...updated or not, it's still virtually the same game.
As for Tekken 6, we ruled that out in order to cover a broader range of fighting games. If we're not having the changing-game tourneys, we want diversity to be up for sure.

GIROffline
Post subject: RE: Fighting Tournament  PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 - 11:14 PM

Powerstone? Why, when 2 is out? Personally, I'd rather play the newer game. And having both on the ballot would be a waste of a slot...updated or not, it's still virtually the same game.

GIROffline
Post subject: RE: Fighting Tournament  PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 - 11:16 PM

Also What the unicorn, SC4 sucks and we all know it, you should have put SC1 or 2 up not that piece of rainbow game

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Fighting Tournament  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 02:01 AM

Powerstone 1&2 are vastly different games. 1 has much more strategy and has deeper gameplay than 2. No random clipping, less stones/items, and ofcourse you dont have the over powered Julia (unless you are playing the PSP version where they fixed her).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
GIROffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 05:18 AM

....I know powerstone 2 blows, my comment was a parody...

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 12:09 PM

Powerstone 2 is an excellent party game, not a good competition game. Ive been very close to buying a Powerstone 2 cab several times - Naomi Vs City (just gotta find a place to put the damn thing).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Sephiroth1112Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 05:29 PM
no0b
no0b

So, I have a question - what are the tournaments at TigerLAN supposed to be? The word "tournament" makes me think competition. There have been prizes and I have had to pay real money to participate at the last few events. There is something at stake, and I think that makes a compelling argument to have a tournament that is on par with other game tournaments that require money for me to enter.
If this event is meant to be nothing but fun, than this should be stated and any entry fee for tournaments dropped. With nothing to lose, I will happily play nearly any game available - especially in the fighting category.
So, what is the club trying to host here? If the tournament is competitive - make it competitive. If I pay money to the club, I want my voice to be heard (and there is this wonderful forum available for me to do this).
If the tournament is for fun - make it fun. Play wacky games and have a relaxed environment. Just don't make me pay extra money to feel like I am participating.
Or do both. Separately.

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 07:08 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

TigerLAN is to try and raise funds and awareness of AU Gamers club. If we charge a fee, then we invoke a bunch of other costs and requirements per AU's rules. If we require a donation to play in special events (tournaments), it avoids the rules.

The fee is tiny compared to other real tournaments that are commercial in nature. You've got to give us some slack for being a non-profit university club, not a commercial venue.

PS. Every game is supposed to be fun. Even tournament games. they are GAMES after all.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 - 03:10 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

I preface this with: I am not currently in charge of club or TigerLAN in any way and the current officers may run it as they see fit. I am, however, offering my responses to your questions from when I was running both club and TigerLAN.

First, they are supposed to be called "competitions" not "tournaments", specifically to avoid the high stress, super serious, why didn't I get a $500 prize connotations you've read from the wording and their presentation.

Second, we're supposed to remind people that it's not an "entry fee" but a "participatory donation" because club is a non-profit, the event only has to break even, and it is more for the community than it is the club as we can (and have) charged dues to remain afloat.

Third, all your questions were already answered here: http://augamers.org/module-FAQ-view-prop-Main-cat-10001.html If these are incorrect, then the officers need to update them.

What is TigerLAN?

TigerLAN is a networked computer and console gaming event. In other words, a group of computers and gaming consoles are networked together in some fashion and groups of people play games on them. To encourage the competitive spirit, we hold competitions/tournaments and award prizes to the winners. We also play games just for fun, which is what most of the event is about: having fun with others that have similar interests.

Why have TigerLAN?

TigerLAN was started as a combo fundraiser and membership drive for the Auburn University Computer Gaming Club in Fall 2001. After some initial growth, these aspects became sidelines but are still part of the reasoning to continue the event. The current main purpose for holding the event is to promote gaming in the community. Aside from how much fun gaming is for those who enjoy it, it also promotes strategy, problem solving, critical thinking, ingenuity, organization, and teamwork. At the same time, it improves hand-eye coordination, reflexes, and rewards quick thinking.

How much does it cost to attend?

Since TigerLAN is a two-day event it will be $5 to game, 5 more to compete.
There are possible discounts for active AU Computer Gaming Club members (varies by event). Anyone can come in to observe for free.
To get a gaming stamp, it is a donation of US$5.
To get on the competition list, it is another donation of US$5.
For the donation (which is a tax deduction; AUCGC is a non-profit organization; must ask for receipt), you get to game, snack, and be eligible for door prizes. The extra charge for competition is to help pay for the nicer competition prizes that will be given away (the more that compete, the better the prize and the better the prize at the next event). All profits from the event go into one of two places: 1) into the next TigerLAN 2) into the AUCGC treasury to aid the costs of the club.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
LuckyNumbah7Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 - 05:42 PM

I updated it a few months back I think, but I'll look at it again to make sure it's right.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic