View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ScorpionOffline
Post subject: Planetside 2, the current rundown.  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2012 - 02:24 PM

So here's as much info as I can spew without breaking the NDA...because I actually care about my word.

1. There are three sides. Pick one.

Terran Republic: Authoritarian collectivist militant faction dedicated to reuniting all humans under its rule until contact with Earth is restored. Think Galactic Empire from Star Wars. Known for weapons with a high volume of fire and a sexy/intimidating red and black color scheme. Twin-linked or quad-linked cannon, infantry carried miniguns. Nickname: "Elmo" 'cause they are red.

New Conglomerate: Corporate malcontents that broke off from the Terran Republic in search of the freedom to profit from the alien technology found on this planet. Capitalistic rebels. Known for slower firing high damage weapons, big heavy armor, and for shotgun wielding airborne troops. Railguns, gauss rifles, stupidly large triple-barreled shotguns. Nickname: "Smurfs" 'cause they are blue.

Vanu Sovereignty: Former scientists and academics that believe the technology left behind on this planet can aid humanity in becoming something more than human. Fanatic tech cultists. Known for really odd energy based weapons, alien inspired design, hover vehicles, being very purple, and generally being outnumbered (I think it's the whole purple thing). Hovertanks with friggin' lasers, pew pew pew, and orbs of energy that reach out and touch enemies nearby. Nickname: "Barneys" 'cause they are purple.

2. It's going to operate on the League of Legends pay model.

For those who aren't familiar, it's a free-to-play item mall scheme wherein no direct combat advantages are gained via monetary transaction. All weapons and add-ons are purchasable using the in-game currency. That said, aesthetic items are generally only purchasable through monetary transaction.

Since content is purchased rather than play-time, the developers have reason to continue to pay attention to the game as they'll need to work on more content.

The reason why it works is simple.

A: Some people want to be special little snowflakes and will buy anything that differentiates them.

B: People are generally rather generous when they recognize that a service has been given to them. If they like what you've done, they'll pay you. A new camo pattern for their favorite tank or a gun with a few more glowing bits is a great "thank you."

The whole scheme has the potential to be really rather consumer friendly.

3. It is going to be massive.

Think hundreds of players per side on three sides fighting constantly over several 60 or more square kilometer plots of land. I don't mean 100 and some change...I mean 2, 3, 4 hundred and maybe more.

Your average Battlefield match? Maybe 50 fighting over 1-2 sq km.

Capturable bases, large bridges spanning enormous ravines, watchtowers, open ground that will no doubt be turned into a tank graveyard, icy tundra, lush forests, lakes and rivers, sheer cliffs, rolling hills, huge mountains, engagement ranges so long bullet drop is the limitation not just an annoyance, close quarters facility fighting so packed and hectic that a single grenade may kill a dozen.

4. There is a day-night cycle and weather effects...and they matter.

The day night cycle is not "bright-->not so bright." It's "maybe bright depending on the cloud cover-->dark or even darker if there's no moon."

Night is dark. Really dark. Vehicles have functional headlights that actually are useful, weapons can attach lights to the gun rails or night vision scopes and having them is a big deal.

It's not uncommon for a group of enemies to simply not see you as they run by. No hiding...it's just dark. Start firing though and instant light.

Tracers do in fact look awesome in the night sky.

About weather, yeah it's in and supposedly going to get much more potent. Thankfully there's a map because sandstorms are a real pain. Like a wall of sand in front of you....you know, like a sandstorm.

Some interesting Alpha footage from the Cynical Brit

Night fighting: (More like dawn fighting, it DOES get darker.)
http://youtu.be/x6HgC6Exs0U

Just what is this all about anyway:
http://youtu.be/ptGe-UplC34

Example of the camo and customizations money can buy. And bad piloting:
http://youtu.be/hjsd5uouw9I

I'm currently playing in the closed beta. It's stable and just getting more awesome.

Reply with quote Back to top
WasmoOffline
Post subject: RE: Planetside 2, the current rundown.  PostPosted: Sep 15, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Which side are you and anubus on?

ScorpionOffline
Post subject: RE: Planetside 2, the current rundown.  PostPosted: Sep 21, 2012 - 02:55 PM

Purple, currently.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic