View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
StickOffline
14 Post subject: Wings of War - 5/5  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 08:09 PM

Wings of War is awesome. It has good gameplay, it's beautiful, and it's cheap. I've played the full campaign and played online. Both were a kick in the pants.

It's WW1 plane dogfights. Kinda sim-my, kinda arcade-y. There is an "arcade" mode that is way to arcady for my tastes, and then there is a regular mode which is a nice balance.

This is no CFS or IL2. You can jump in and play without having to learn how to switch magnetos. There are CTF and "Fox and Hound" game modes, as well as Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. All are pretty cool.
The maps are beautiful. One of them is full of Grand Canyon style ravines, with tunnels and what not. Very fun to shake your tail by maneuvering through a tight ravine at top speed.

There are "powerups" and rockets. (As I said this is not a sim).

So, maybe you are saying "why not just play Crimson Skies?", or "I played Crimson Skies and arcade flight games suck".
Well, I thought Crimson Skies sucked horribly. This is nothing like it. First, it runs smoooooth. Second, it's realistic enough to be familiar and challenging. Third, I don't know, Crimson skies just sucked (to be fair, I only played CS for about 2 hours and decided it wasn't for me).

Not a powerful dogfighter yet? Let the other guys duke it out, you can fly around the empty parts of the map and collect some powerups, then head back to the swarm blast your way through with a dozen rockets. Take em by suprise...
Tired of being taken down by some newbie with a half a dozen rockets? Keep your eye on the map and when you see them break off to look for powerups you can catch them while they try to fly through a hanger or skim the tree tops (power-ups are usually a little difficult to grab).
Tired of dogfighting? No you're not. But play some CTF anyway. Really need teamwork, with a good offense/defense to win.

Anyhoo, grab a copy, or at least grab a joystick, I'll try and bring the game out to gamers one Friday.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Wings of War - 5/5  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 09:26 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

sounds like a lot of fun. i prefer arcadish flight sims, much more fun, though not as rewarding.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic