View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MazingerOffline
Post subject: Wireless Broadband Router-thingie  PostPosted: May 28, 2006 - 05:06 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

Okay, yeah, so I'm back at home and I'm kinda sick of 56k, YEAH I SAID IT, 56K, big whoop! Wanna fight about it? I saw one of those routers at Wal-Mart for like around $70 and the computer I'm currently using does have a port for a broadband connection. I was wondering if there was anything else I should before picking this thing up.

Reply with quote Back to top
SatertekOffline
Post subject: RE: Wireless Broadband Router-thingie  PostPosted: May 28, 2006 - 07:44 PM
Mobile Camper
Mobile Camper

Wait so are ARE on dial-up? Uhh...so what do you need a router for? Assuming you are trying to connect to the Internet on more than 1 computer...all you would need would be an ethernet card in each computer and to enable the Windows Internet connection sharing.

After re-reading your post I really have no idea what you are talking about.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Wireless Broadband Router-thingie  PostPosted: May 28, 2006 - 10:39 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

Maz, if everything in this world were as easy as I think you're hoping it is, I wouldn't be typing this right now.

First, and foremost, you must sign up with a broadband service in your area (Cable or DSL) - they normally supply a cable modem. Buy said router (I actually recommend the Belkin Wireless G router, they're around 50 bucks at walmart), connect it to your cable/dsl modem (the walkthrough setup guides are really easy to follow), and then run an ethernet cable from the router to your computer. Wireless is convenient, but not quite as fast as ethernet (this is a totally different discussion so ignore it for now)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Wireless Broadband Router-thingie  PostPosted: May 29, 2006 - 01:08 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

And this is why I swore to never take another techie job.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Wireless Broadband Router-thingie  PostPosted: May 29, 2006 - 03:41 AM
G0dlike
G0dlike

heh

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic