View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
StickOffline
Post subject: Call of Duty: United Offensive  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2004 - 10:13 PM

Ok, United Offensive has been on the lab images for 3 or 4 weeks now. I've played it only twice during our gamer meetings. This last week I finally played it at length online. I have to say, I am much more impressed by what I've found than by our gamer trials. So, I wanted to share some of my findings, and my general winning tips.

Essential changes to your play:
*Sprinting. it is there, map the key and use it. I shouldn't have to tell you how.
*Cooking grenades and satchels: to cook it you hold fire and "zoom". Cooking satchel is useful, if you are throwing it out a window or such. The delay is usually very long, but if you are throwing it next to you you will need most of that time to get out of the blast area.
*Airstrikes: Every 10 kills (or points) you will gain be promoted, and awarded with extra starting gear. I think at level 3 you get binoculars. At level 5 (the highest level) you can use those binoculars to call in airstrikes. You will know this because when you select noc's it will show an ammo count of 1. To use, equip the nocs, zoom in on the target, and hit fire. The ammo count will go to zero.
New Weapons: It is always wise to spend a few moments to find a satchel charge immediately upon spawning. They do not take up any space in your inventory, and can be useful both against tanks and infantry. Also, use the smoke grenades!! Not only are they good for screening your advances, but you can blind the enemy's advance as well. Pop one in the last remaining cover where you expect the enemy to come from. As he emerges into the clearing he will have no idea which side your ambush will come from, and you will have the benefit of shooting from cover, while he is in the open.

Using Tanks:
Tanks are the centerpiece of a good offensive, but they are vulnerable to infantry in close quarters. Call of Duty's focus is on more realistic battles, and good teamplay and coordination is going to win the game. Also, correct tank usage is effective.
*Find a Hull Down position: where only the turret is vulnerable to fire, and the body of the tank is protected
*Try to engage only in battles where you have overwhelming firepower (straight out of Sun Tzu). It will require from 1 to 4 hits to take the tanks out. If you start with 2 tanks to their one, then the odds are you will both survive the battle.
*Switching positions: the "cycle weapons" key will allow you to switch positions on a tank or jeep. If my tank is in good position and enemy armor is not present, I find it useful to switch to the machine gun position. This one takes no time to swivel, so it's a very useful mobile machine gun, and you can monitor 360 degrees for enemy infantry who might be sneaking up with a stachel or bazooka.
*Vulnerable spots: I cannot verify this, but it seems that the tank's armor is also realistic. Hitting from the side and rear seems more effective than engaging from the front, and hitting from the top or bottom is usually a sure kill. I've gotten lots of 1 shot kills on tanks by shooting down on them from a 2nd story building with panzerfaust, or firing at the underbelly as they come over a hill. Grenades are typically useless against the tank, unless you manage to throw one underneath it.
When driving a tank, try to keep your front armor to the enemy (the "jump" key will align your tank to the turret, so aim at the enemy and hit jump).
*Coordinate your team efforts: It is essential to have friendly infantry scouting out the surrounding terrain when moving through cities or wooded area. If you like to play tank jockey and race into occupied area by yourself you will probably lose to a more coordinated team.
*Maneuvering tanks through the debris-cluttered maps can be a challenge. I find it rewarding that after some practice I have a much better feeling for the vehicles. It is readily apparent when you hitch a ride on someone else's tank that a poor driver is a suicidal driver. If you have trouble driving the tank or jeep, then let someone else drive while you provide the essential support.
*Abandon your tank. There is no way to heal your tank once you take damage. Winning an armor duel is great, but driving your smoking beast further is a sure death. Jump out! For fun, you can hang out near the battered tank and hope an enemy tries to steal it. A quick bazooka will change their mind.
*Firing Lanes: Your tanks and deployable machine guns will easily cut through any opposing infantry. It is more effective to totally supress the enemy in a small area, than to make an attempt to cover a very large area. Sitting on top of a hill will make you vulnerable from 360 degrees, while you can only cover 30 degrees at a time. Place your tank or MG in a protected area, with a 10-20 degree firing lane in front of you, preferably open ground that the enemy will need to cross.

I will continue this later, but i would also like to mention that I found some of the play at club to be a bit confusing. After playing online I would realy recommend "Capture the Flag" mode until we all know the maps better. The objectives are clear and simple.
Also, there is one map I have really come to enjoy, I think it is "sicily" or something (the loading pic shows clothes hanging to dry). It is a fairly small map, set in a busted up group of buildings. A medium tank spawns at each end of the map. The tanks can be useful as supressing fire down a few firing lanes, and will really help the team, but the map is still won by good infantry play.

Later,
Stick

Last edited by Stick on Nov 17, 2004 - 10:02 PM; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Call of Duty: United Offensive  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2004 - 03:49 AM

Ive found a better use for the binoculars... Its the reason the officers banned me from playing that game.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
era_controlOffline
Post subject: RE: Call of Duty: United Offensive  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2004 - 02:20 PM

I'll never live that down... I could have gone 1,000,000 - 1 but it would have made no difference because the final blow to my death was from binoculars

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Call of Duty: United Offensive  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2004 - 02:50 AM

Eh, itll die off soon enough. Just wait for turbo to do something stupid....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
era_controlOffline
Post subject: RE: Call of Duty: United Offensive  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2004 - 05:42 AM

I am sad I wont be there this week... or else there would be pay back

TurboBisonOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Call of Duty: United Offensive  PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 12:11 AM

fastbilly1 wrote:
Eh, itll die off soon enough. Just wait for turbo to do something stupid....

Am I to implie that I'm stupid......shut up!!!

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Call of Duty: United Offensive  PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 07:31 AM

nono, not at all...well yeah.

And for the record, tongiht alone:
5 binoc kills, and 50+smoke grenade kills.

Era your not alone now.

era_controlOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Call of Duty: United Offensive  PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 08:08 PM

haha well it would have been different if i was there

era_controlOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Call of Duty: United Offensive  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2004 - 01:55 AM

fastbilly1 wrote:

Era your not alone now.

I'll be late this weekend.... but I will be there... getting even.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic