View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you like this poll or the one on my website better?
This one
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
the one you are making.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
I am just an unfrozen caveman turned lawyer, I do not understand your "polling systems"
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
I live in Florida, may we adopt your polling system for our gubernatorial needs?
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

StickOffline
Post subject: A Polling / Voting module I've been working on (for gamers)  PostPosted: Jul 28, 2005 - 06:37 PM

www.freepgs.com/r_stich/poll/index.php

Hey, about a year ago I had talked about programming a webpage where we could vote on things like what to put on the image, elect officers, what to buy with club money, etc. I've been working on it, and am just getting to the point where most of the bugs are ironed out.
Thought you guys could give it a spin and see how it fits gamers.

couple of current bugs: the progress meters' text is funky.
I haven't implemented showing the descriptions of the items, I hope to have them as mouseovers...

Different polls are open to different levels of member. Right now everyone joins as a newb and I would have to upgrade your account for you to have access to other functions. Eventually the idea is to tie this into the existing gamers site and get user levels off of it's database.

xero, I've already set up an account for you with password xero, it is at admin level.

anyway, everyone feel free to register (even more than once if you want).
Note, if you add things (like to the beer list) try to make sure you put it in the right category.

Last edited by Stick on Aug 01, 2005 - 07:31 PM; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: A Polling / Voting module I  PostPosted: Jul 28, 2005 - 08:15 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

its pretty promising. saw a few of the bugs you mentioned, but didn't have time to look it over or postulate about it. i like where its going though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 11:53 AM

**EDITED TO BE CURRENT**
+++++User manual (for normal user):++++++++++++

1) once registered, you will be presented with
--a) the option to delete your user
--b) a list of polls that your user level is allowed to vote on. Polls you have already participated in will either not be selectable, or will give you the option to delete your entries and revote
--c) a list of poll results that your user level is allowed to view

note that the lists of b and c may not be the same. For example, a poll may allow you to vote for an officer, but not allow you to see the result until the election is over...

for voting... choose a poll by selecting its radio button and click "go to poll".
2) You should now be presented with a list of drop-down boxes associated with this particular poll. There may only be one, or there may be more than one, organized by "categories". Descriptions of the categories be shown in blue.
Some categories may expand to allow more votes, as you fill in the available ones. In any case, choose selections from the various categories.
If the poll has a "limit" (ie: price, or size), then a status bar at the bottom will show how much of the capacity you have used. When you are over capacity the submit button will be greyed out - in this case "unselect" some of your choices by setting them back to "Select One".

3) in the event that the pollmaster has allowed you to add new items to the poll, a button labeled "add to list" will be available. Before using this function make sure that an identical or similiar item does not already exist among the choices.
upon clicking this a child window will open with text inputs necessary to add an item to the database.
--Choose the category that the item would best fit under.
--name the Item (something short but disctinctive)
--a longer description. Put as much pertinent information here as you can. if it is a game, make sure to include how many people can play, whether it can be played on a LAN, copy protections that may interfere with Gamers' usage, etc.
--Install size and price, if applicable. if you can find these out, please do. If the poll depends on these numbers and they are blank or incorrect, the votes for these options will have to be discarded later.
--click Go when the information has been filled in.
--refresh the parent browser, the item you added should appear among the selections.

4) When you are satisfied with your votes, click Submit Vote.
you should see a message that begins with "vote added" for each item you had selected.

++++++++admin directions++++++++++

CREATING A POLL (currently available to users of level 4 and 5
1) under the Officer section, there is a section labelled "create new poll"
Description: the title of the poll, keep it succint, as this will be the text that shows up on the list of polls.
Size Limit: If you want the poll to limit a user's votes to a count from the first field (in the db name max_1), enter the limit here.
Price Limit: same, for second field (max_2).
user level: the level of user that will be allowed to cast a vote
Add level: the level of user that will be allowed to add items to the selections.
Viewable By: the level of user that can view the results.
Revote Allowed?: Whether the user can change their vote after submitting.

2) Fill in this information and click "create". at the very minimum you need to add a title.

3) (create a poll) page:
next you come to the page where you will add choices to your vote. The choices are organized as such.
Category:
---Static
---Static?
(---Dynamic?)
next Category?...

Each "Category" you add will allow the user 1 or more choices from items located in (or under, if you select "expand category tree") a category node in the database.
**To view the category nodes and add new ones click "show tree".**
you can add categories to the database under the "show tree" window.

***If you only want the user to have one vote from the category, leave static at 1 and dynamic at 0.***

If you want to force the user to make a certain number of votes from this category, select "force static" and enter the number of forced votes into the "static" area.

If you want the user to have the option to vote more than once, enter a number in "dynamic" to place a cap on the total limit of votes you will allow. The limit will be static + dynamic. If you are not forcing the user to choose from this category, it is suggested to leave static at 1 and put the rest of the number in dynamic.

4) click "another cat" to add this category to the poll (even, if you don't have another category to add).
now your poll should take shape, filling the top of the window and allowing you to continue adding categories below. If you make a mistake, the only option now is to "delete", which will delete the entire poll, and start over from the previous page.
Note that the categories will always appear in the order you created them, and that the "force static" and "expand tree" are seperate for each category.

MANAGE USERS for admin only.
will allow you to change user levels, or delete, other users.

CLEANUP POLLS for admin only.
will allow you to delete a poll.

Last edited by Stick on Aug 04, 2005 - 05:32 PM; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 12:02 PM

So, uses which I had in mind when designing this:

--)The one above, voting for games to put on the image. Further, you could force everyone to choose at least one FPS, one RTS, etc. Restrict it to active gamers.

--)Purchasing games. Same as above, but restrict by price. Limit to paying gamers.

--)Voting for officers. Only one vote allowed per gamer. restrict to active gamers.

--)Vote for tournies at TigerLan. ignore the weights and just give everyone a certain number of choices. open to anyone maybe? Of course, each person only gets one vote.

--)KOTN game selection.

did I miss anything?

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 01:58 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

That is very interesting. How does one fix things in the list if incorrect? or add to information if incomplete at the time?

BTW I think this idea is awsome and cudos to you for actually makeing it. I hear so many people say it would be cool if. And then they never take the action to figure out how to make it.

StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 05:13 PM

well, so far all editing is left to phpMyAdmin, ie: editing the database directly. Actually, today I've been adding a script that will allow the officers to create a poll, but, at least for gamers, I think directly editing the database to set stuff up and correct entries is quicker and prettier using phpMyAdmin.

Bandit, if you've registered already as a user I will give you admin status... probably by tomorrow you will be able to create new polls. and, as explained above, giving permission to users to add Items to the polls is up to the poll originator.

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 05:52 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

I'm registered. Hook me up.

StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 06:33 PM

done, bandit. I'm almost finished with the poll creation scripts, that should be online tomorrow.
edit: just lucky, I guess, they are up now. Bandit and xero can create new polls... no error checking yet, though, so you have to go by the rules. the main thing is that you have to use acceptable categories...
will fix that first.

xero, any chance I could upload this stuff to the augamers.org website and start looking into tapping into the user database?

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 07:03 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

Hmm I need to be able to edit the poll. As in delete things that shouldn't be there or I screwed up because I didn't understand the interface.

StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 07:08 PM

Wow, bandit looks like you beat me to it. I fixed the category selection thing, evidently while you were adding one. Working on the delete ability right now, have it up tomorrow.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 07:32 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

It'd be best to just setup a system like ours on your local setup for testing. If you want a MySQL dump of our database I can get you one. Just so you know, here's our setup:

Postnuke 0.75 Gold (with all of their patches) - http://www.postnuke.com
PNphpBB2 Plugin 1.2g - http://www.pnphpbb.com
MySQL (not sure version, probably latest stable) - http://www.mysql.com
Running on Apache w/ Linux

The user tables in there are pretty easy to tie into (just put a User_ID column in your tables somewhere). Permissions can be handled via Postnuke also if needed (preferred). All that would really be needed is a Postnuke Module that we can drop into our system. When its like that then we can set it up anywhere we want on the site.

For now I would focus on just getting the module working the way you want outside of Postnuke. That way you can just translate the flow of the algorithms into the Postnuke Module style instead of trying to learn their methods while trying to develop the module. The way PN wants you to do things is a little odd but highly regimented so it works out.

I'd love to dig in and help you out at the moment but I don't have time to do much of anything until finals are over. It's back to back work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 - 07:45 PM

actually the other reason was because, although I paid $3 to set up at freepgs.com, it is otherwise free. Which is fine, but the phpMyAdmin is really really slow. i also suspect that the PHP version is older. In any case, I was hoping for a small bit of hosting space at the same time. if you don't want me to mess with the database that's ok, but if it's there that would kill two birds...

Additionally, then you guys could get into the tables and change stuff to see how you like it. As it is now I don't think I can add more users with access through phpMyAdmin at freepgs.com, dig?

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2005 - 01:29 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

I don't see the Admin section Stick. I thought you said you added it?

BTW please apply sorting to all the drop down lists. Also think about adding the ability to dynamically add descriptors to item types. So like for a game an administrator could add Video Card Minimum requiremetns w/o having you rewrite the module. Or for Beer one could add a descriptor such as % alcohol content. These descriptors would then have drop down lists that could be user populated.

Just an idea.

StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2005 - 03:23 PM

hey, i like that idea, bandit. i was already thinking about adding more descriptors (in the programs terms I call them "weights". You've given me an idea, I could just add a third, with an extra field that describes it.

What kind of sorting do you mean?

no admin section, I decided that creating polls should be available at officer level and up. Admin would be just for maintaining users-type responsibilities, but for now phpMyAdmin is a much better tool for that.

Right now I'm adding an optional validation routine, so that for each category you can "force" the user to make the static selections. Also will be adding the item descriptions at some point.

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2005 - 04:25 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

I recommend using the US MLA English Standard sorting method. Alpha-Betaical

By Admin section I meant to say. ... I thought you said the ability to delete or edit polls once created was ready for testing.

StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2005 - 04:51 PM

no, sorry. I added a "delete" option while creating the poll. Once it's done it can only be changed (currently) by editing the database. Which isn't hard...

In fact I think that's a better way, otherwise it would be too easy to manipulate votes that have already been placed. but, I may get around to doing that as well.
Right now DHTML objects are giving me headaches.
Stick

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2005 - 05:44 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

Can you explain the fields I see when I'm creating a poll?

Static 1 Dynamic 0 Expand Category Tree

StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2005 - 05:59 PM

the 3rd post in this thread goes into some detail on the structure, but, to supplement:

Static: this will determine how many selections start underneath a category. In the next upload there will also be an option to make that many selections mandatory (an option per category) for the entry to be validated. There should be a minimum of 1 for each category.

Dynamic: Once the last static selection has been filled, the dynamic ones will be added to the form to increase the number of selections, up to a limit of static+dynamic. The reason this might be useful is if you wanted to get the voter the option to select a lot of one category, without cluttering up the poll.

if static were 2, and dynamic 4, and the "make static mandatory" option was enabled, it would mean this:
choose from 2 to 6 items from this category.

You can set up Categories in a tree structure by assigning parents in the database. for example, GAME is the grandfather category of all games. Under that comes Library games and ToBuy games. Under Library games comes FPS's, RTS's, etc. if you want to include all the categories underneath your root category selection (ie: all Library games) you enable Expand Category Tree.

Make Static mandatory: I will add this soon. if left unchecked, the previous example of 2 static, 4 dynamic, would be this: choose up to 6 selections from this category.

BanditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 03, 2005 - 05:28 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

Anything new on this?

StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2005 - 11:11 AM

every day something new.

...except yesterday.

When you are creating a form, now you can see the category tree to help choose the right category.
Today will be adding a user manager for the admin.

sometime in the future will add the ability to set expiration date and remove old polls.

xero, any opinion on hosting this app and giving me access to the augamers databases?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic