View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
In which first person shooter competition would you rather participate?
Half-Life 2 Deathmatch (PC)
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Unreal Tournament 2004 Deathmatch (PC)
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Other PC FPS (Leave comment)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 - 08:49 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Competitions for TigerLAN 9 (Rules forthcoming)

Battle for Middle Earth (PC)
Halo 2 (XBox)
Burnout 3 (PS2)
Super Smash Brothers Melee (Gamecube)

Also there is a toss up between Half-Life 2 Deathmatch (PC) and Unreal Tournament 2004 Deathmatch (PC). Vote in the poll in this thread to have a say in the matter.

Aside from these competitions and the usual onslaught of games that are played, we know the following games will also be played:
Battlefield 2
Starwars Battlefront
Marvel vs Capcom (and probably the rest of the Capcom/SNK series)

Plus live demos of F.E.A.R. and a few other upcoming games.

Last edited by jokeyxero on Nov 04, 2005 - 06:57 AM; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
RugerMK1Offline
Post subject: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 - 11:33 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

Super Smash Brothers Melee - Hello 2001

Nice job however on cutting down the number of competitions. Hopefully this will encourage freeplay on the newer games.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 02:30 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

RugerMK1 wrote:
Super Smash Brothers Melee - Hello 2001

We tried and tried to think of a better (read: newer) fighter but we couldn't think of one that had as big of a following, also worked out that it was the only GC game we had in mind.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
StrangelOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 04:29 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

i wish we could do hl2 deathmatch, unfortunately i'm fairly sure that would be too much of a pain in the ass to get working for everyone, so i voted for ut2k4.
this time, would it be possible to mix it up a little? not just plain-jane deathmatch every round, make one of the rounds instagib, etc.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number 
BanditOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 04:31 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

I think there should be seperate threads for deciding the rules and format of the different tournaments.

EhgretOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 04:35 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

Can we pick a real racing game instead of Burnout 3

EhgretOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 04:45 PM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

A suggestion for a fighting game : Soul Calibur III. The release date for it is 10/25/2005.

StrangelOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 04:49 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

No, Ehgret, we can't, because "real" racing games suck.
I played the NFSU tourney last time TigerLAN had one (whenever). I drove through the course. How boring. If I want to drive a Honda fast I'll hop in my car and get on the interstate. And Nascar games might as well be buried before they're released (come to think of it, I haven't seen one lately, maybe they got the hint).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number 
StrangelOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 04:57 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

they picked the games based on what's out now. it's hard to plan tourneys based on games that aren't out yet when you don't know how good they're gonna be, or the details of the gameplay to actually plan the rules of the tourneys.
however, if they were going to potentially change the games to sequels not yet out, Burnout: Revenge would be a possibility.

j_-rdan-Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 06:27 PM
no0b
no0b

Painkiller would be a much better choice than hl2dm (which is unproven in competition) and ut2k4 (lack of support).

Painkiller already has an easy to use competition mod (pk++) similar to CPMA or RA3 for Qauke 3, and it has been proven to be a great competitive game in numerous competitions around the world.

Also, it would be nice to see either CS 1.6 or a css tourney, along with the mmorpg to let the FPS fans have some fun.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 06:42 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's always some descention about the tournies. Here's our basic process.

1. Figure out what's hot in the 18-32 age range (this is usually played by ear).
2. Out of that list, filter down to what is individual multiplayer, finite state, and can have a tourney in about an hour.
3. Filter the remainders down to one per major current console and two or three for PC.
4. Prioritize these based on #1 above.

There's a few more exceptions we have:
A. The game has to be released at the time we are deciding on competitions. We do this for several reasons, the first being that nobody will own it or be skilled with it by the time the LAN comes around; the second is that its a little hard to make rules for a competition in a game that isn't out yet.
B. We must feel that the game has a large popular following in Auburn and the surrounding areas and that people will be willing to come play it outside of their homes.
C. The game must not require an Internet connection (or we have a suitable workaround).

We will almost always opt for popularity over quality (e.g., Halo 2 vs Halo) for competitions since the competition is what brings the most people into the LAN party. However, we are the AU Computer Gaming Club and one of our missions is to promote gaming in the community, so we attempt to put more quality games under the noses of the people there before/between/after the competitions. We want more people to enjoy gaming and as part of that to see that there are better games out there beyond what makes the zines and shows. Think of it like putting a commercial for a new product in the middle of a popular TV show.

Overall we just want people to have fun and we think this process promotes this.

We've got quite a few LAN parties under our collective belts, plus running the weekly club meetings. All of that experience has taught us a few things. Namely that popularity doesn't always equal fun for the participants. So we try to take that into account. There are many games that are highly popular but cause tempers to rise and thus people to not have fun. This is one of the reasons you'll most likely never see certain games in a competition at TigerLAN again, such as Counter-Strike and Starcraft.

Just because a game isn't an official competition doesn't mean it can't be played and also doesn't mean it can't be an unofficial competition. We're always willing to give out prizes for high levels of play on ad hoc competitions, provided we're warned beforehand (read: at least minutes beforehand).

There's only 4-5 hours of competition vs 7-8 hours of free gaming.

PS - Show us support in the form of numbers and we'll be more than happy to change a tournament.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Also about SCIII there are STRONG rumors floating around that itll be pushed till mid/late November. Mainly since the rumors of Zeldas pushed to next year, became true this morning, and the PS2 wont have another strong title that time around, so they need something to combat the Xbox 386.

I voted for UT, not just cause of last year, but I could play two people at once if need be. I may not be good at it now, but give me time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
StrangelOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2005 - 03:57 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

Painkiller doesn't seem to be too popular. seems fun, though i've never played it. it does seem fun, though. and even mentioning counterstrike can cause bad things to happen. besides, having a tourney in anything steam-based would probably be a bad idea due to the inevitable "offline mode" problems, and the fact that people can't just install the game on-site in order to play in the tourney.

RugerMK1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Aug 18, 2005 - 03:06 AM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

Somewhat off subject.

I ran AVG today, and it thought Steam was a virus. It was somehow appropriate.

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TigerLAN 9 - Competitions - And FPS Comp Poll  PostPosted: Sep 07, 2005 - 02:16 AM

Hey guys! I'm on the forum now!
Gaze in awe at my mediocrity, even in this introduction!

Alright.

As to the voting; I voted for UT2K4 because HL2 is notorious for its offline (in)capablities and the total world domination plan engineered by Steam. Also I have played UT2K4 once and I used to be big into the original Half-Life singleplayer which as we all know is not the same thing as multiplayer.

Also, the post above me has a Dr. Hobo icon. Gotta love that.

delimeatOffline
Post subject: noobs  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2005 - 04:44 PM
no0b
no0b

You guys are total noobs. Why dont you have a tournament with a good RTS, like WC3 FT. Are you afraid of feeling my pwnage, or what?

AckOffline
Post subject: RE: noobs  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2005 - 02:07 AM

Warcraft 3 is a very broken game. But then again, seeing that you enjoy Halo...I think we shouldn't bring it up. We'll just act like you didn't say anything at all, keeps us from thinking about bad games.

Since SC3 comes out October 25, any chance we'll see it going on during TigerLAN? I'm hoping yes.

BanditOffline
Post subject: RE: noobs  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2005 - 12:05 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

sigh... I suppose as gamers we are doomed to hear this sort of prattle over and over.

To answer your question and all future ones. If the game is over a year old we don't want to play it as a tournament. There are a large number of gamer types out there but the gamers club specifically tries to turn all those types into the one type that is the most social. Read this article and you will get a better idea. ->http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos-genre-innovation-strategy.html

We like games that are in the Growth and Maturity phases, WC3 is what you would call a King of Genra that is past its prime. So the only people still playing it are the core players who the rest of the world calls pro's. The gamers club is not about running a professional tournament and getting the core players to show up. Go to a mega lan if you want that. The AU Gamers is about playing new games that are well polished with the occational unpolished new genra game usually drug to the club by people like Stick.

AckOffline
Post subject: RE: noobs  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2005 - 05:04 PM

Soccer, anybody?

Actually, Stick at least brought various new things, so even if we didn't think they were that great, it was good exposure.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: noobs  PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 - 09:39 PM

query, can I retract my vote? I think we should play XIII instead.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic