View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
StickOffline
Post subject: Civilization IV 4/5  PostPosted: Dec 22, 2005 - 01:22 PM

This is my first time to play a Civ game, so I won't compare it to the others. I've been playing it pretty solid for about a month. I think I'm on the verge of winning my first game, but I've thought that before, and have always ended up losing.

PROS:
Fun, Interesting choices in the early game
Military Units are fairly balanced.
Auto-Management is well done.
World and National Wonders are interesting, competitive, strategic.

CONS:
Drags downt he CPU in the late years of a large game.
AI is sometimes predictable
Victory Conditions are not balanced. Large worlds seem to always have a space race victory
Limited number of buildings. A fine-tuned civ will quickly run out of improvements, making the build order strategic.
Difficulty levels should be different. (below)

I haven't played Multiplayer yet. Would like to try, but only if it is well done. It would be imperative that I be able to change build queues, give move orders and stuff when it wasn't my turn (the moves are carried out on my turn, of course).

I know more of you guys are playing it. What do you think for PROS and CONS? What map size and difficulty levels are you playing?

I started with the Standard and Big maps, but currently am playing the one slightly smaller than Standard (5 players), and I think it might make the Victory Conditions more doable. With the large maps I found it near impossible to hurt every Civ enough to keep them from completing the Space Race.

I play at the Normal difficulty level and feel like a wussy. But then, I haven't won yet. i wish there was a difficulty level where the AI was savvy and mean and spontaneous, but didn't have a build advantage over the player. I started one game with difficulty set one or two notches higher... when I met the enemy civ (first 10 turns) he already had 2 cities and axemen or something silly like that.

What are y'alls ideas?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
T-BirDOffline
Post subject: RE: Civilization IV 4/5  PostPosted: Dec 22, 2005 - 03:34 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

Well, it's unfortunately buggy which has taught me to save often, lest I suddenly see my desktop (or the entire PC reboots) and I lose an hour's worth of progress. The late game does bog down.

Play by email is SSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW (and the in-game email system doesn't work consistently). We have yet to get beyond 20-30 turns in a PBEM match, simply cuz the early game is "load the save game, click enter, close game, and email save to next person....then wait hours or days to be able to click enter again." It'd be nice to be able to start a game with a custom set of units so that people could actually DO something for the first 20-30 turns....which in a normal game you just push enter that many times in that many minutes, and then the interesting stuff starts.

Why is the world builder so well hidden, and why can't I use created maps to start a multiplayer game?

Where are the palace building and advisors from Civ III?

Nonetheless - I love this game! One more turn indeed! Oh, and why not just disable space race victory? It's been a while since I played, but I think in one campaign, I'm close to a domination victory on a large map.

TBirD's collection

BanditOffline
Post subject: RE: Civilization IV 4/5  PostPosted: Dec 22, 2005 - 08:40 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

Combat: Learn to use Catapults, Cannons, Tanks . All units that have collateral damage. Once you start using this you will quickly learn the war strategy and the ability to take out civilizations are possible. What the 1st level of combat goes is you build a number of cannons to throw at the enemy thus hurting all the units in the stack. Then take out the individual units left over with your appropriate combat units. Learn what units get bonuses against others. This will change the combat because the next level of progression is counter attack strategies.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Civilization IV 4/5  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2006 - 07:02 PM

I still prefer the arcadeness of Civ 1 and 2 over 3 and 4. The basis for the series was fast paced World battles. Civ4, in most cases, is not that. Though as a TBS it is easily a 4/5.

And I know Im late at commenting on this, but Ive not had a chance to really play the game till recently.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
StickOffline
Post subject: still feel the same  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2006 - 05:11 PM

yeah, after coming back to it a year later, I still feel the same, 4/5. The games timeline plays like this:
difficult (exciting), fun, strategic, boring, tedius.

The most fun I have is in starting new games.
The worst comes with (about) the usage of oil. Everything just seems to grind to a halt, especially on large maps with lots of players.
I feel that way about Rise of Nations, too, so you know where I'm coming from.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
BanditOffline
Post subject: RE: still feel the same  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2006 - 05:36 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

sounds like to me that someone doesn't like having to re-work their strategy in the middle of the game when the world changes.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: still feel the same  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2006 - 05:37 PM

Ach, Rise of Nations...I thought I had rid myself of that. You and your pausing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic