View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
StickOffline
Post subject: (Fall 2004) KOTN Overall  PostPosted: Sep 09, 2004 - 08:16 PM

I'll be hosting the King of the Net competitions this semester. I hope everyone has fun and enjoys a little competitive flava. If you feel something is unfair, unpleasant, or just boring, let me know or post in this thread to discuss with others.

THE BASICS:
This semester there will be a Ladder for each game played. Every 2 weeks there will be an organized game that effects the ladders. The King of the Net is the person who has the best rankings over all the ladders. Find the current KOTN here: http://www.auburn.edu/~stichry/KOTN.xls

THE KING'S GAME:
On the off weeks, when there is no organized KOTN game, the reigning King will get to lead the gamers for around 30 minutes. This may mean a quick competition (that doesn't count towards KOTN), introducing a new game, or playing one of our regular games in the flavour they choose. Its suggested that this 30 minutes be insanely fun. There may be silly prizes for the winner, or not, up to the KING!

CHALLENGES:
Outside of the biweekly organized games, individuals are encouraged to battle each other for ladder position. Any format is acceptable, as long as all participants have agreed ahead of time (this includes 1on1 matchups or huge FFAs). Refer to the individual game threads for restrictions and details on reporting.
There are two broad restrictions:
*participants can not be ranked more than 4 apart (ie, 1st place can play 4th, but not 5th), the same restriction applies in larger games as well (in a game involving 1st, 3rd, 7th, and 8th, the 13th ranked person does not count).
*Unless the format doesn't allow it, anyone unranked, ranked between the highest and lowest ranking player, or ranked less then 4 rungs below the lowest player must be allowed to join the game. Players ranked less than 4 rungs above the highest ranking player may only join on permission (it's ok to "cap" a game at a certain ladder level - this allows for intermediate or newbie-level games). For example, if a 2v2 RoN game is arranged and the players set, they don't have to include anyone else, but if a FFA game is set up by the 3rd, 4th, and 7th place players, they should allow 5th and 6th place to join (as well as an unranked player, and 11th place). play nice!!Report your scores to me at r_stich@yahoo.com

THE GOODIES:
To encourage a more light hearted competition, there will be no cash prizes this semester. There will, however, be goodies for the winner(s).

LADDERS:
For details on an individual game's ladder, see the corresponding thread in this forum. However, in general, the scores determining ladder position will be mostly symmetrical around zero. That way, people entering the ladder after it has started will start somewhere just a little lower than the middle. This is to encourage new players to join, and also give the lower ranked players fresh meat to beat up on, and hence the bottom half of the ladder some mobility.

Last edited by Stick on Nov 01, 2004 - 10:50 PM; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
StickOffline
Post subject: Schedule  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2004 - 08:31 PM

Here's a rough schedule for the Fall2004 semester:

Oct 1 RoN MP
Oct 8 CoD Individual
Oct 15 BK
Oct 22 Etc #1: Arcade
Oct 29 BK (Oct 30 TigerLAN!)
Nov 5 Etc #2: Sport
Nov 12 RoN 1on1
+Nov 19 BK (people probably left for thanksgiving)
+Nov 22-27, Thanksgiving
Dec 3: CoD Teams, ***KOTN season final***
+Dec 8th, Classes End
+Dec 10 (first day of exams)

where BK stands for a Burger King Challenge hosted by the current leader of the KOTN compeition.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
StickOffline
Post subject: First results....  PostPosted: Oct 02, 2004 - 04:30 AM

I'm going to maintain the RoN ladder here for a little while until I post the Excel spreadsheet with the ladder standings.
//edit: here it is: http://www.auburn.edu/~stichry/KOTN.xls

xero +9
Scorpion +7
Stick +4
Solo +3
Mario +1
Bandit +1
IxLila -1
Epian -3
TurboBison -5

send me any challenge results, or write them in the challenge thread. check out the RoN thread for more info.

Last edited by Stick on Oct 05, 2004 - 12:27 PM; edited 2 times in total

BanditOffline
Post subject: RE: First results....  PostPosted: Oct 02, 2004 - 01:04 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

We need a challenge thread.

StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2004 - 01:12 PM

good idea.

StickOffline
Post subject: Looking for a fourth game!  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2004 - 10:49 PM

Ok, hopefully everyone has had some time to consider possibilities for the 4th king of the net game. As we've already had a First Person Shooter, a Real Time Strategy, and an Arcade game, the fourth should not be from one of those categories.

Please add your suggestion (or your choice) to this thread. I'm going to throw out a couple again:

*Madden 05 (at the begginning of the semester there was some interest in this, so this might be the default winner unless you guys really object). Madden plays equally well on the keyboard or a gamepad, and everyone is familiar with it.

*Live For Speed: a racing sim. It's already on the image and can support a good number of people (versus some of the Rally games), it's free to download (and practice), and it plays very well with a mouse.

*Wings of War: WWI plane combat sim. I hesitate to suggest this because I think keyboard players will be at a disadvantage. Plus, I'm pretty good, and I don't want to just stomp everybody.

I'm going to go ahead and put a poll here. If you want to add a suggestion just put it here in the thread.
Stick

StickOffline
Post subject: OK, then, I'll choose.  PostPosted: Nov 03, 2004 - 10:33 PM

Alright, as expected, a combination of normal gamer apathy and the fact that noone has checked their email or the forums this week meant that noone suggested other games, and only 2 people voted, 1 for each.

So, I've been thinking about it, and I've decided Live For Speed would make a better game this Friday. Reasons: it works great with keyboard (although you are welcome to bring any controller you like to play), it can handle everyone in the same game, which is more fun, and it wouldn't take as long as a madden tourney.

That said, check out the KOTN Live For Speed thread for details. We'll play the game this Friday, Nov 5th, right after the O-meeting.

Stickshift

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: OK, then, I  PostPosted: Nov 03, 2004 - 10:44 PM

So, for those of us without office, whos in the lead? Im guessing its either you or xeros, just curious.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
StickOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: OK, then, I  PostPosted: Nov 04, 2004 - 12:03 AM

fastbilly1 wrote:
So, for those of us without office, whos in the lead? Im guessing its either you or xeros, just curious.

xero, stick, scorpion, fastbilly, delimeat.

BanditOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: OK, then, I  PostPosted: Nov 05, 2004 - 02:36 AM
G0dlike
G0dlike

I have challenged EVERYONE on the RON list and NO ONE will take me up on it.

StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2004 - 03:49 PM

ok, the final results to the King of the Net games has been posted. I would like to ask everyone who is on the spreadsheet but not a member of the website to please register for the website. Next week I will delete those names that are not registered from the KOTN, and declare winners.

We never declared prizes for this semester, only that I would make myself ineligible. Based on tradition, the top player does not have to pay dues next semester. We can make that top non-officer, since officers don't pay dues anyway.

If you would please comment on this semesters games, let me know what you like about the system, what you didn't like, etc. Older members can compare to previous semesters...

Also, I would like to suggest that the winner for next semester can choose one game, and the club will purchase it.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2004 - 07:46 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure about suggesting the one game however we do have a special prize to the actual #1 spot. A $50 gift certificate to EB, this was decided right after TigerLAN (we didn't have a clear cut overall King of the Lan so we held the big one for club itself).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
StickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2004 - 11:07 PM

The game suggestion was an idea for next semester. xero, without a doubt it is going to be your name on that gift certificate. Congrats! Sorry you couldn't make it for the last CoD game, I'm sure you would have enjoyed it.

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2004 - 03:50 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

from what i hear it was a lot of fun. but i had a lot of fun doing karate up in enemy territory so i guess it evens out. ;oP

hoping we get to meet this week. all depends on paul.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
TurboBisonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2005 - 05:46 PM

I didn't have fun Sad

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic