View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 12:51 AM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

So.. the uni promotes frats [doing naughty, naughty things] and such, but only if nobody hears them swear... i get it!

Reply with quote Back to top
CoyoteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 01:37 AM

exactelly!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 11:35 AM

But face you never saw my text book for that class: The Commercial Meat Buyers Guide. Like Tbird I was an odd major through gamers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
T-BirDOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 01:23 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

[Edit] Comment wasn't constructive to conversation [Edit]

Billy, don't think of yourself as the 'weird one' - think of yourself as the diplomat - building bridges between different cultures (or majors, as it were)!

TBirD's collection

Last edited by T-BirD on Dec 14, 2006 - 01:44 PM; edited 1 time in total

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 05:07 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let's clear up a few things...

1. AU has always noticed us.
2. We have always been on notice that we are representing AU.
3. We have always been asked to keep the language at bay.
4. Dr. Knight monitors the mailing list and (from what I've been told) the forums as well. He is supposed to keep it clean.
5. I personally asked everyone to keep the cursing/swearing/insults/etc on the forums to a minimum a few months ago.
6. The comments about fraternities and sororities are out of line.
7. Has everyone forgotten what happened last time a fraternity decided to publicize some behavior that AU didn't like? The Betas were kicked off campus for a while, several people expelled, and rich families had to pay tons of money to buy their way back in.

- The filters are not working because I have not turned them on yet. I have not turned them on because I have not been asked to. I'm assuming that I have not been asked to because of good faith in the club's members to restrain themselves when asked.

- As a whole we are representatives of Auburn University, but through a series of legalities nothing we say can be confused to be the opinion of AU.
- By maintaining our own website, completely independent of the university we arrange ourselves a degree of freedom on what we can and can't do with it. However, by stating that we are affiliated with AU then we restrict ourselves by their set of rules. If we follow their set of rules then we get to reap all the benefits of being a university sponsored club. These benefits include the lab and its admins, free room for TigerLAN, free advertising, O-Funds, ability to say we are backed by AU, etc.
- I am pretty sure we want to keep these things so club will probably be following their rules.

- If you don't like AU's rules then this is not the place to complain. They have a system you can go through (SGA) or you can use the usual way and be loud on the concourse.

- And before anyone brings it up, asking us to keep our language restricted in exchange of their backing is not a violation of our First Amendment rights. It is the use of the Alabama/US policies for organizational freedom that allow an organization to set down any rules they wish to govern membership so long as those rules are known. Just like women can't join fraternities and men can't join sororities and morons can't join Mensa.

Now please, don't make us turn on the filters.

Last edited by jokeyxero on Dec 11, 2006 - 05:12 PM; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
CoyoteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 05:08 PM

I don't know about everyone else, but I would rather have filters so I don't have to worry about it.

And as far as the Greek stuff goes, I've seen plenty of girls in my dorm taken advantage of drunk after going to frat parties. The greeks aren't suppose to even have alcohol in there houses and everyone knows they do, why? Because they are all drinking in the house and yard! Uni should stop dangerous behavior first. The university is indirectely supporting illegal behavior. Disclaimer: I'm speaking about this outside of the context of this discussion.

T-Bird! 6 Hours of Freecell!?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 05:52 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

Actually... morons are the only ones that can join mensa, "the society for insecure people that need a piece of paper to tell them how smart they are"

AckOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 09:45 PM

Either way, rules are rules. However, to answer a few questions: Face, no, I am not going to ask you to change your name. We have never had a problem with it, we shorten it to the more polite version in speech and when writing to you on the forums, and depending on how you accent the letter U, it may come out sounding completely different from something considered offensive. So don't worry about it, reverend. We respect our clergymen.

As for the Greek societies, we've actually had several members of fraternities attend club and be members. Our club is not officially condoned or associated with any particular fraternity or sorority, however, so we will not use this as a means to intentionally insult any or all of them. Or anyone else. If you don't like a certain group, fine by me. Just don't talk about it here.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2006 - 11:39 PM

All talk of illegal activities should also not be done on the fourms. Granted none of us do that, it just makes for a nice practice.

And T-Bird, you are the second person to call me that today. Kinda eerie.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 01:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about turning the filter's on for Ug's reasoning - I don't think the occasional [daisy chains!] slip into a word or two here and there is going to matter.

The university isn't as riled up as everyone seems to think they are about cursing -- I hear more [halo] and [rotary engine] walking down the hallways of the Haley Center than I've ever heard on these forums.

Sometimes, I think one can defend a [honk, honk, blargh] if the context is right.

CoyoteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 03:11 PM

Can you defend a [cuddles] [sugar plums] [ponies] [candy canes] [princesses!]???

T-BirDOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 04:12 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

I think we should thank the university - they gave us a [tweedledum] awesome new game to play that's [tweedledee] fun to play!

As for my [hulahoop] 6 hours of freecell...when chatting online, I can't really do anything fullscreen and nothing that requires too much attention, so options become a bit limited...

Actually, I'm just a sad [oozing] shell of my former self...

TBirD's collection

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 13, 2006 - 02:25 PM

That's a lot of [pink] [princessy] [shirt-wearing] [sock hoppified] [cultured] freecell!

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 13, 2006 - 11:29 PM

You stupid [Dancing Blue Elephants]...

RugerMK1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 14, 2006 - 07:05 AM
Sniper on the Hill
Sniper on the Hill

No more sentence enhancers. Sad

PhukFaceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 14, 2006 - 07:58 AM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

jokeyxero wrote:
Let's clear up a few things...

1. AU has always noticed us.
2. We have always been on notice that we are representing AU.
3. We have always been asked to keep the language at bay.
4. Dr. Knight monitors the mailing list and (from what I've been told) the forums as well. He is supposed to keep it clean.
5. I personally asked everyone to keep the cursing/swearing/insults/etc on the forums to a minimum a few months ago.
6. The comments about fraternities and sororities are out of line.
7. Has everyone forgotten what happened last time a fraternity decided to publicize some behavior that AU didn't like? The Betas were kicked off campus for a while, several people expelled, and rich families had to pay tons of money to buy their way back in.

- The filters are not working because I have not turned them on yet. I have not turned them on because I have not been asked to. I'm assuming that I have not been asked to because of good faith in the club's members to restrain themselves when asked.

- As a whole we are representatives of Auburn University, but through a series of legalities nothing we say can be confused to be the opinion of AU.
- By maintaining our own website, completely independent of the university we arrange ourselves a degree of freedom on what we can and can't do with it. However, by stating that we are affiliated with AU then we restrict ourselves by their set of rules. If we follow their set of rules then we get to reap all the benefits of being a university sponsored club. These benefits include the lab and its admins, free room for TigerLAN, free advertising, O-Funds, ability to say we are backed by AU, etc.
- I am pretty sure we want to keep these things so club will probably be following their rules.

- If you don't like AU's rules then this is not the place to complain. They have a system you can go through (SGA) or you can use the usual way and be loud on the concourse.

- And before anyone brings it up, asking us to keep our language restricted in exchange of their backing is not a violation of our First Amendment rights. It is the use of the Alabama/US policies for organizational freedom that allow an organization to set down any rules they wish to govern membership so long as those rules are known. Just like women can't join fraternities and men can't join sororities and morons can't join Mensa.

Now please, don't make us turn on the filters.

heheh thats cool, i understand and i agree but why then do we have this statement when someone registers?

Quote:

You must be 13 or over, or have parental permission to register for an account on this site.
I am 13 or over, or I have parental consent to register for an account on this web site

umm arent we all adults here?

......well acting like adults at least?

Razz

T-BirDOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 14, 2006 - 01:43 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

I sure hope adults don't act like us Confused

Also, I apologize for my first comment - it wasn't what it should have been, and has been removed. xero is right. The club has worked hard and (mostly) played by the rules to be where it is, but that status can be easily revoked by a bad perception of the club.

Just don't do another Halloween candy handout thing at Foy in an effort to promote a positive image of the club...that was just a waste of money. Fun for the evening, but nonetheless expensive, and I don't think anybody really took note of who was handing out the candy Wink

TBirD's collection

kurtmax_0Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 14, 2006 - 06:51 PM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

I think that sign up over 13 thing is for another reason. iirc, if you are under 13, supposedly you have to get some sort of sheet for your parents to sign and then mail it into the forum administrators etc. Most don't want to deal with that so they just put the "you must be over 13" thing...

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 14, 2006 - 08:04 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Under 13 thing = COPPA

http://www.coppa.org/
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/k ... cy/biz.htm

If they're not over 13 then we just basically tell them to go away so that we don't have to comply with COPPA's policies.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
vandylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 20, 2006 - 04:16 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

face, don't get me started on "aren't we all adults here?" I'll rupture if I think about that sort of shizznizzle for any length of time. Rupture != good.

Anyway, turn on the filters - make it a word replacement, so whenever someone uses a vulgar word, it's replaced by some kind of baby-word like "noinch." Hours of fun.

btw, I'm in town as of later today, for two weeks. Don't waste my time.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic