View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
D.I.E.Offline
Post subject: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 22, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Topics:
- I will be running Tigerlan
- First Tigerlan meeting will be the Saturday after classes start
- Considering off campus venue for cash prizes
- Tigerlan scheduled for October date a week after midterms
- pre-registration discount?
- online registration into formatted file
- Coyote is getting business sponsors
- vandyl is finding alternate venue's
- Byron willingly dedicated himself to be the Tournament Man (quite brave!?)
- Dropping old generation consoles
- Staff can't play in tournaments if there are cash prizes
- Spreading computer tournaments out across both days
- Tournament Rules - CPA

Suggested Games for Tigerlan:
- CS:S
- Gears of War
- Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne
- Smash Brothers/Halo 2
- UT2k4
- Wii - TBA

Suggested Games for Club:
- Enemy Territory
- Hell Gate London
- Quake 4
- next UT
- Playboy Mansion
- Freelancer
- New Command & Conquer

Policies:
Reduce Racial Slurs, especially in lab!

Questions, comments, volunteers?

Last edited by D.I.E. on Jun 28, 2007 - 09:42 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
CDplayaOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 22, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Thank you for the policy. I was getting a little annoyed.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 22, 2007 - 10:34 PM

So your dropping the old consoles, but keeping the games?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
CDplayaOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2007 - 02:34 PM

You know how these new systems are, you can play the old gems, or the new junk.

vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2007 - 04:02 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

You left off the CS:Source tournament

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
BanditOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2007 - 10:51 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

what happend to Supreme Commander?

Dark_ChickOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 24, 2007 - 12:07 AM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

Ok.....i'm really trying hard not to say it....you guys are going to hate me but....

Halo 3???

Confused
Guitar Hero was pretty awesome...?

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 24, 2007 - 02:57 AM

Halo 3 will win out, we all know it. And Cdplaya, I follow the racketboy statement for a console gem. Meaning a game that most people havent played on that system. So for Gamecube, Cubivore, Chaos Field, and Nintendo Puzzle Collection/Dream Tv World Fighters (both imports) come to mind. On the Saturn: Bulk Slash, Baku Baku, Exhumed/Powerslave, Sexy Paradus, Waku Waku 7, Esstonie, Into the Hunt, well I really could go on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 24, 2007 - 06:49 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

If Halo 3 is out, I'd go with that instead of Halo 2. I think SSBM finally died out last year so we can probably drop it. CS:S would be good if we get enough advertising (in the right places) ahead of time so that more than 2 teams come.

Give me an actual date for TL and I'll post it.

What's that about pre-reg? Need me to do something?

I'm not sure if Playboy Mansion was a serious request or not, but if it is that will be a quick way to get in trouble, though I'm sure the admins would show up to play it. ;oP

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
vandylOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 24, 2007 - 03:12 PM
G0dlike
G0dlike

Halo 3 is set to be released sometime in October (we talked about it briefly during the meeting) - and October is the month we'll be hosting TigerLan, so Halo 3 is out as far as tournament goes.

Further, we're cutting down on the total number of tournaments to allow for more game-time in the tournaments.

I've got the pre-registration issue; I'll let you know if I need something from you xero. We're talking about offering a pre-reg discount to encourage greater participation in both pre-registration and the event itself.

We're looking at holding the next tigerlan off-campus so we can give out cash prizes - in order to make it worthwhile (besides just the money) we've gotta pick the right games to host tournaments.

Finally, we talked about getting rid of the open, public vote about what games to run for tournaments - there was way too much bickering about the last set.

Playboy mansion was a joking suggestion by yours truly. I just miss the single life sometimes Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2007 - 02:50 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

There always was and always will be bickering over the competitions. It's partially because people like to play it their way and partially because we don't research the rules enough sometimes.

I'm all for less competitions, I would think four over two days would be just right.

You're right about Halo 3, it's bad timing for a true competition. However it is a great time to use it as a promotion; maybe give a few copies away to winners of something related.

When you need the pre-reg stuff hosted just email it to me. Our server is a standard LAMP stack, nothing special. If you want it integrated into PostNuke, we're using version .764.

I'd actually suggest having it store things into either (I can't believe I'm saying this) an Access database or have it create an Excel file for you. That way we can use it offline in its full glory. A web page with a PHP back end writing to an Access db is a viable reg setup. Then putting the game day registration system either as an app on the Access db or as a Windows app reading the db would keep it all nice and simple and portable. (Plus, in an Access db I don't have to worry about someone screwing up the PHP->MySQL security.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
PhukFaceOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2007 - 04:23 AM
Color-Swapped Ninja
Color-Swapped Ninja

true, i love php!

its easy to hack.

lordbyronIIIOffline
Post subject: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Ummm...

WRONG concerning Halo 3, street date is a confirmed, 100% September 25.

So I say we better drop GoW sharpish and stick to the bandwagon. I don't know where any of us got this "october" stuff.

AshOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2007 - 05:09 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

jokeyxero wrote:
There always was and always will be bickering over the competitions. It's partially because people like to play it their way and partially because we don't research the rules enough sometimes.

I'm all for less competitions, I would think four over two days would be just right.

You're right about Halo 3, it's bad timing for a true competition. However it is a great time to use it as a promotion; maybe give a few copies away to winners of something related.

When you need the pre-reg stuff hosted just email it to me. Our server is a standard LAMP stack, nothing special. If you want it integrated into PostNuke, we're using version .764.

I'd actually suggest having it store things into either (I can't believe I'm saying this) an Access database or have it create an Excel file for you. That way we can use it offline in its full glory. A web page with a PHP back end writing to an Access db is a viable reg setup. Then putting the game day registration system either as an app on the Access db or as a Windows app reading the db would keep it all nice and simple and portable. (Plus, in an Access db I don't have to worry about someone screwing up the PHP->MySQL security.)

do it in rails, it's wonderfully easy.

Woot! its Pyramid Pony!

CoyoteOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Coyote is doing business sponsors WHEN SOMEONE GIVEs HIM THE LIST.

There is an important difference there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2007 - 10:07 PM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ash wrote:
do it in rails, it's wonderfully easy.

While true, it doesn't satisfy the requirements. Needs to be easily portable (work off line), have a common install base (like MS Office), and run on the existing web server (PHP, Python, Perl).

Coyote wrote:
Coyote is doing business sponsors WHEN SOMEONE GIVEs HIM THE LIST.

There is an important difference there.

Actively seek out the list because they'll probably forget, and if you don't get it by a deadline (that you should probably give them), then make your own.

fastbilly1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2007 - 10:21 PM

Lack of shump as a genre category means it is not a true competition, And were is the true 2d fighter? Come on Waku Waku 7.

Dont tell me its just going to be Halo3/Gears of War, Smashbros Melee/Brawl, Supreme Commander/Warcraft3, and CounterStrike Source.

AshOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2007 - 10:49 PM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

Ruby on Rails works offline, you can run it on any machine basically. Any computer capable of running ruby can run rails. My old old old desktop from 2001 with fedora core 6, that i am using as a server at home, has it running it's not really hard to run. If you want it running on a windows machine pop Instant Rails on that machine. It's completely selfcontained (in a zip file) and has all the files you need to run a Mongrel server with MySQL support and full rails support, although you can modify it, very easily, to have lighttpd or webrick.

Most servers are capable of running it, i run it on my server and my website has it running on it. Its pretty easy to move around too if you need to move it from a remote site to your local drive you can just do a database dump and as long as you have all the files rails files locally it builds the vast majority of the content around the database.

Also, you can export the database info in a wide variety of formats, including CSV (Comma seperated values) which is easy enough to import into an excel document that you can have preformmated to stick the appropraite data into the approraite column/rows.

But /shrug

I just like ruby better than php personally, but thats more to do with the langauge than the capabilities of the language, they are pretty close in terms of what they are capable of.

Statistically speaking, rails uses significantly less ram than php but requires more processor power. Although the 1.9.0~1.9.1 beta rails VM's are showing on average a 15% increase in Rails server speeds and they are pushing for more with 2.0 but that won't be relased till 2008.

Woot! its Pyramid Pony!

Dark_ChickOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2007 - 12:42 AM
teh gam0r!!1~
teh gam0r!!1~

Quote:
Ummm...

WRONG concerning Halo 3, street date is a confirmed, 100% September 25.

So I say we better drop GoW sharpish and stick to the bandwagon. I don't know where any of us got this "october" stuff

very right...and well, in the begining it was said to be released in october but has been changed to september 25....I think that gives it alot of time before TL....... Wink

I don't know if it's totally right to stop voting before the tourney. Yeah there was a big issue over Halo2vsguiltygear last time, but should that change the whole thing...? Just make it perfectly clear, when the voting is done it's done....no exeptions. I really enjoy voting before hand.... Smile

btw...
you guys are such Halo haters.... Cool

jokeyxeroOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Tigerlan discussion on Jun 22  PostPosted: Jun 27, 2007 - 02:25 AM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ash wrote:
Ruby on Rails works offline, you can run it on any machine basically. Any computer capable of running ruby can run rails. My old old old desktop from 2001 with fedora core 6, that i am using as a server at home, has it running it's not really hard to run. If you want it running on a windows machine pop Instant Rails on that machine. It's completely selfcontained (in a zip file) and has all the files you need to run a Mongrel server with MySQL support and full rails support, although you can modify it, very easily, to have lighttpd or webrick.

Most servers are capable of running it, i run it on my server and my website has it running on it. Its pretty easy to move around too if you need to move it from a remote site to your local drive you can just do a database dump and as long as you have all the files rails files locally it builds the vast majority of the content around the database.

Also, you can export the database info in a wide variety of formats, including CSV (Comma seperated values) which is easy enough to import into an excel document that you can have preformmated to stick the appropraite data into the approraite column/rows.

But /shrug

I just like ruby better than php personally, but thats more to do with the langauge than the capabilities of the language, they are pretty close in terms of what they are capable of.

Statistically speaking, rails uses significantly less ram than php but requires more processor power. Although the 1.9.0~1.9.1 beta rails VM's are showing on average a 15% increase in Rails server speeds and they are pushing for more with 2.0 but that won't be relased till 2008.

The idea of easily portable is that you don't have to install anything that wouldn't already be there. Having to install Rails and a web server and a database server onto whatever machine happens to be the registration machine (or it's backup) is what I would consider too much risk or effort. I can't install Ruby on the AUCGC server because I don't have that kind of access, it's shared hosting.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic